Nonfiction

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Blondie

Re: Nonfiction

Post by Blondie » February 12th, 2010, 11:40 pm

aspennow wrote:My third non-fiction book is about Community Branding -- How to market to ethnic, cultural and religious communities, both in US and around the world. You don't make any money writing books -- you can do better fetching fries at McDonald's. But non-fiction provides a credibility foundation for speaking and consulting, especially overseas.

But I am more convinced that the model of "the book" is broken for a variety of reasons. So I am pretty sure this will be my last "book" in this format. From here on out, it's non-fiction, quick-and-somewhat-dirty ebooks, sold cheap.

Nick
Nick - I absolutely agree with the credibility a book can lend to one's business. It certainly increases marketability. Why do you think the model is broken? In the fitness field (hobby) I have seen a lot of trainers adopt the e-book approach and while it does increase revenue a bit, I have also noted complaints from buyers.

-B

Blondie

Post by Blondie » February 12th, 2010, 11:46 pm

Cassandra - That's so cool! I'm not funny enough to try. The B&N manager makes sense. I would not have guessed that, but I also haven't thought about it before. How far along do you plan to go in your writing before seeking an agent?

Good luck to you!

-B

cassandrabonmot

Post by cassandrabonmot » February 13th, 2010, 10:26 am

Hi Blondie,

I have a 'Goals & Objectives' list put together with a time line (pre & post editing). My humor book is currently #9 on the list with an anticipation date of completion, Sept 2011 (post editing). It's pretty much written and I may move it up the list. I would feel comfortable seeking representation in Oct 2011 unless someone expressed interest in seeing my blueprint or my blog.

cassandrabonmot

Post by cassandrabonmot » February 13th, 2010, 10:28 am

Hi Richard I,

Your geology book on minerals sounds interesting! How far along are you?

cassandrabonmot

Post by cassandrabonmot » February 13th, 2010, 10:31 am

Dear aspennow,

Dirty e-books. Fun! Is that your title as well? How long have you been researching on the 'Community Branding' book?

BuddyBeagle

Post by BuddyBeagle » February 13th, 2010, 11:06 am

Hi Blondie,

My name is Buddy Beagle, but my friends call me Fat Bastard. I'm currently writing my confessional 'tail-all' diary - 'Confessions of a Fat Bastard.'

Vegas Linda Lou

Post by Vegas Linda Lou » February 13th, 2010, 11:46 am

Fat Bastard, pleased to meet you! Perhaps we can promote our books together on Amazon? Bastard Husband: A Love Story paired with Confessions of a Fat Bastard--what do you say? We could serve Fat Bastard wine and Arrogant Bastard beer at our book signings (I did that last December).

Are you single? I have a really nice boyfriend, but I would totally ditch him for you. My readers are clamouring for a sequel, and you could be just the ticket. Imagine us sitting on Oprah's couch together--the Bastard couple. Please tell me you like annoying women who never shut up. This could be the start of something BIG!

XOXO
Last edited by Vegas Linda Lou on February 13th, 2010, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Lou
Author, Bastard Husband: A Love Story
http://www.vegaslindalou.com

BuddyBeagle

Post by BuddyBeagle » February 13th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Dear Vegas Linda Lou,

I will admit it. I love women, wine & Monday Night Football. Speaking of 'Fat Bastard' wine, may I show off my letter to the Fat Bastard Wine CEO? Thank u. Yes, I will entertain Oprah, book signings and press conferences. I'm well-behaved and photogenic.

Click Wine Group
Attn: Peter Click, President & CEO
808 Howell Street
5th Floor
Seattle, WA 98101

Dear Mr. Click:
I have a bone to pick with you…I got my paws on a bottle of your Fat Bastard.
First, let me compliment you on developing a first-class wine that goes well with Science Diet and after dinner treats; it’s a real tail wagger. However, you have stolen my nickname, which my owner has given me and that makes me “hot under the collar.” Now when my owner calls out “where’s Fat Bastard,” she’s no longer referring to me. Nonetheless, I remain a proud Beagle/Blue-Healer mix who was Oklahoma born and bred.
In view of the fact that you are using my nickname “Fat Bastard” to market your product, I believe legal action is merited. This was confirmed by talking to my cousin, Legal Beagle with the Law Offices of Howling and Barking. And in lieu of unleashing my Legal Beagle on you, I offer other alternatives in settling this dispute, so it doesn’t turn into a dog fight.
I prefer to spend most of my days lounging on my couch and not fretting on your infringement of my nickname, so in the spirit of “if you can’t lick em’ join em.” I am offering to drop all my rights to my nickname… “Fat Bastard” in exchange for one (1) case of Fat Bastard to be delivered to my dog house annually (and this ain’t no DOG SHIT!).
To prove my claim to the nickname, “Fat Bastard,” I have included an 8 x 10 glossy.
When this contention is amiably resolved–I will stop snarling at the sight of Fat Bastard.
My owner LOVES her Fat Bastard… (That’s me and your wine).
Sincerely,
Mr. Buddy “Fat Bastard”
P.S. I am available for press conferences and photo sessions, but you will have to bring Fat Bastard!

Richard I

Post by Richard I » February 13th, 2010, 2:56 pm

cassandrabonmot wrote:Hi Richard I,

Your geology book on minerals sounds interesting! How far along are you?
Thanks... I have about 55,000 of projected 85,000 words complete - that's 6 of probably 10 chapters.

http://www.gravmag.com/whatthings.shtml

aspennow

Post by aspennow » February 20th, 2010, 1:38 am

Nick - I absolutely agree with the credibility a book can lend to one's business. It certainly increases marketability. Why do you think the model is broken? In the fitness field (hobby) I have seen a lot of trainers adopt the e-book approach and while it does increase revenue a bit, I have also noted complaints from buyer
s.

Interesting. It may be worth a post to outline the e-book complaints. It could provide the basis for to-do and don't-dare-do tips. This could be helpful, especially since the e-book market, now estimated to be in the mid-single digit millions, is growing at a double-digit rate. I've been researching e-books extensively, and think that the market is a year from taking off, for a variety of reasons. But take off it will, I'm convinced.

aspennow

Post by aspennow » February 20th, 2010, 1:44 am

ear aspennow,
Dirty e-books. Fun! Is that your title as well? How long have you been researching on the 'Community Branding' book?
About a year. I'm about to put the outline up on a wiki (a little bit of a cheat, admittedly, since I am 85% of the way through the first draft), but believe that wikis are a part of the "platform" that Nathan talks about. I've started doing the interviews for case studies; so far, Royal Bank of Canada and Citibank have graciously allowed me to interview them. More are on the way....

Blondie

Post by Blondie » February 21st, 2010, 2:00 pm

aspennow wrote:
Nick - I absolutely agree with the credibility a book can lend to one's business. It certainly increases marketability. Why do you think the model is broken? In the fitness field (hobby) I have seen a lot of trainers adopt the e-book approach and while it does increase revenue a bit, I have also noted complaints from buyer
s.

Interesting. It may be worth a post to outline the e-book complaints. It could provide the basis for to-do and don't-dare-do tips. This could be helpful, especially since the e-book market, now estimated to be in the mid-single digit millions, is growing at a double-digit rate. I've been researching e-books extensively, and think that the market is a year from taking off, for a variety of reasons. But take off it will, I'm convinced.
I have to caveat that I can only speak to the Fitness category of books, and it is strictly anecdotal. I doubt it really applies to the totality of e-books, so please apply at least 1lb of salt. I'd like to hear others' thoughts on the subject.

While I detoured as the manager for a gym's personal training staff, I used to surf the web for every lesson ever published or spoken by all the top fitness trainers, docs, and scientists to keep up with the industry's edge. I have purchased some "self-published" books myself, and have watched these "books" become staples of the industry, especially for up-and-coming trainers. The majority of these are really just 3-ring binders with work-put plans, some anecdotes, basic science validating the principles theories used, and a couple exercise pictures. Others are truly the downloadable e-book.

Benefits of the former have been the ease with which an aspiring trainer can create and ship his product to any number of buyers. Even better is that it's a simple run to Kinko's or Staples to get it done on short notice if you run out. These are easily carried with the buyer to the gym, to school, anywhere really. (And you can highlight with ease!) Lodged complaints include grumbling about the low quality and graininess of pictures, the relative purchase price-to-quality of binding, and the absence of enjoyment that comes from reading a notebook.

The latter e-book is great for aspiring trainers in that is allows for even less publishing cost than the 3-ring binder. For the reader, the pictures are usually better (it is digital after all), you have the instant gratification of downloading - as opposed to waiting for the UPS (wo)man, and you get to scroll through and save to your desktop. However, you can't take it anywhere and a lot of folks dislike the lack of paper. Sure, you can print it yourself, but a number of complaints have come in that the aesthetic of a book carries a lot of weight. I agree wholeheartedly. Also, without getting backed by a publishing house or the like, the only buyers of an e-book will be those who visit the writer's website, so the author's ability to get known via said book is limited when compared to a traditionally published writer. How many people looking to get fit really know to look for your book? Not many. Instead, they toddle off to the gym for a membership and 3 week training session, buy P90X at 230 in the AM, or visit the local bookstores and peruse "Fitness". Jillian Michaels wins the day. Noting these issues, a number of trainers and researchers have taken to a new model: Build a website, publish articles in magazines or e-zines leading back to the site, put an e-book or notebook on the site for purchase, and be sure to publicly log the positive feedback thereof. Once a large enough following is established, contact a publisher and have them put your revamped book in the book stores next to Jillian's six-pack.

Again, I doubt the above can apply to all e-books, but I highlight the complaints revolving around the preference to thumb through a traditional book. Because Fitness is really about information and not wordcraft or story, the medium theoretically shouldn't matter. Apparently it does. There is something in the appeal of the new-book scent, the ability to fold down pages, the convenience of carrying it in your pack, and simply reading without backlighting, that people enjoy and prefer. A few buyers even sent back their copies and asked the writer to publish a "real" book.

-B

aspennow

Post by aspennow » February 24th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Again, I doubt the above can apply to all e-books, but I highlight the complaints revolving around the preference to thumb through a traditional book. Because Fitness is really about information and not wordcraft or story, the medium theoretically shouldn't matter. Apparently it does. There is something in the appeal of the new-book scent, the ability to fold down pages, the convenience of carrying it in your pack, and simply reading without backlighting, that people enjoy and prefer. A few buyers even sent back their copies and asked the writer to publish a "real" book.
This point is frequently made, and understandable. On the other hand, books can be heavy, hard to hold in one hand and lack linkages to related information, or most exciting, real-time linkages to the community which has read the same book.. I can imagine somewhat similar arguments made when the world transitioned from scrolls to bound books about 500 years ago. Every new technology goes through the same stages -- leap forward; followed by lower prices/increased functionality; followed by redesign that makes it integral to people's lives. We are still in stage 2 of that evolutionary development for ebooks, but stay tuned.

And, if you have an iphone, and are still interested in what can be better than a 3-ring binder, check out the app "iFitness." Here is one review among many:
http://iphone-application-developer.blo ... ation.html It's a good app, although you might not be able to tell it by looking at my stomach.

aspennow

Post by aspennow » March 2nd, 2010, 9:51 am

Interesting article on book pricing, and the difficulty of finding the sweet spot. Only problem is that it doesn't differentiate between fiction and non-fiction

http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/02/04/wh ... -pictures/

aspennow

Re: Nonfiction- Future of books?

Post by aspennow » March 6th, 2010, 8:23 am

Check this article out on the future of books:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/0 ... print/?hpw

The headline is harsher than the article, but still interesting reading. Key point:

"This kind of thinking makes a key point: instead of arguing about pixels versus paper, as many book lovers tend to do, it is more useful to focus on whether the technology is a good match for the content."

Another point:

"Under Mr. Mod’s analysis, the common paperback and many other physical books are disposable. He writes, “Once we dump this weight, we can prune our increasingly obsolete network of distribution. As physicality disappears, so, too, does the need to fly dead trees around the world.”"

Finally, he says that we need to give up the convention of the "page," since it is an arbitrary chunking of content. Rather, content should be in multimedia segments that are interlinked.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/0 ... print/?hpw