Genre writing

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Jaime

Genre writing

Post by Jaime » February 7th, 2010, 5:17 pm

I couldn't find a thread that specifically asked which genre everyone prefers to write, so I thought I would ask. Apparently I have a soft spot for paranormal romance, which I didn't expect! I would love to keep writing in this genre, and am hoping my current MS will get picked up for a possible series, but if not, I do have other genres up my sleeve (urban fantasy and science fiction, and I'm sure there's a YA in there somewhere!).

So, which genre do you prefer to write?

JustineDell

Re: Genre writing

Post by JustineDell » February 7th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Romance. ;-)

More specifically, mainstream with romantic elements. Those are the ones with more complicated contemporary story lines, more characters, but at the heart there are the hero/heroine who fall happily in love at the end. Everyone together now......Awwwwwwwh.

I've never really thought about writing anything else. Anytime a story pops into my mind that remotely different (like paranormal romance), I try to push it away. I have a hard enough time getting my brain to slow down on my current wip, I don't need a whole other genre to muck up the mix. Plus, I've always read it's good to stick with one and then branch out later one when you have dedicated readership (if that's what you chose to do)

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » February 8th, 2010, 6:57 pm

I tend to write with a literary style, but so far within the genres of science fiction and fantasy. Right now, I’m editing my adult science fiction novel, GODS IN THE MACHINE, and writing a YA steampunk novel with the working title, TUNNEL RAT. All my published fiction is science fiction and fantasy.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » February 8th, 2010, 7:34 pm

Hey Justine, I thought I would reply using this thread instead of the 'Ask Nathan' thread :)

Yeah, romance. Man! I would definitely consider my novel WAITING FOR APRIL romance, but the ending isn't all fuzzy. It will be eventually, but because I want it to be a series, the ending is kind of up in the air. The reader could definitely work out what would happen if there was another chapter, so it could do as a stand alone novel, but, oh well.

Maybe it's a women's fiction with paranormal and romantic elements. But that's kind of a mouthful! And yeah, absolutely loved A WALK TO REMEMBER! I would have classified that as a YA, but I guess it's written from the perspective of an old man, reflecting on his youth . . . this genre stuff can get messy!

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » February 8th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Jaime wrote:Hey Justine, I thought I would reply using this thread instead of the 'Ask Nathan' thread :)

Yeah, romance. Man! I would definitely consider my novel WAITING FOR APRIL romance, but the ending isn't all fuzzy. It will be eventually, but because I want it to be a series, the ending is kind of up in the air. The reader could definitely work out what would happen if there was another chapter, so it could do as a stand alone novel, but, oh well.

Maybe it's a women's fiction with paranormal and romantic elements. But that's kind of a mouthful! And yeah, absolutely loved A WALK TO REMEMBER! I would have classified that as a YA, but I guess it's written from the perspective of an old man, reflecting on his youth . . . this genre stuff can get messy!
LOL...yeah the genre stuff is messy to say the least.

Romances don't have to end in an actual HEA (walking down the aisle and all the jaz), but they DO have to give the reader a promise of future between the H/H (hero/heroine). I don't know how your story ends, so I can't say if it's right or not (oh wait, you said it's still up in the air, right?)-I think it would make a GREAT paranormal romance if it had the right ending!!! I'm gonna have to get some old books out to show you what I mean, there was paranormal romance I read not too long ago that had the H/H together at the end, but the heroine was unsure what her abilities would do to their future. It was the hint at the impending series, which I don't think ever happened - which kind of sounds like what you are trying to do?

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » February 8th, 2010, 8:00 pm

I write historical fiction.

Don't look for this section in the book store, however, because it doesn't exist.

The last time I really went looking, Jack Whyte's Templar trilogy could be found in the Mystery section, while his Arthurian series was under SF/Fantasy. Colleen McCullough, meanwhile, is in the Literature section as is Bernard Cornwell. I didn't look specifically for Diana Gabaldon because she has already sold me enough of her books, but Michelle Moran was shelved with "New Authors" even though her first book came out over four years ago.

I want my own shelf, damn it!

christi

Post by christi » February 8th, 2010, 8:05 pm

I write fantasy, but I guess something similar to urban fantasy, but they aren't in the city. I like stories about things that secretly live among us in modern times. There is romance in my stories, but it's usually beside the point of the main plot. Like... the quest would still happen whether there was some cutie distracting the hero or not.
Would you sign my story for a Klondike bar?

http://christigoddard.blogspot.com/

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » February 8th, 2010, 8:10 pm

I'm Young Adult all the way :) I gravitate more toward science fiction, paranormal, distopian, and fantasy with my writing, but I'll read just about any of it.

I've always been drawn to YA, even after I "outgrew" it. Adolescence is such a volatile time in our lives - so much of what shapes us as adults happens when we're teenagers. Emotions are new, heightened, raw. I love capturing that feeling over and over again.
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

ryanznock

Post by ryanznock » February 15th, 2010, 5:27 pm

JustineDell wrote:More specifically, mainstream with romantic elements. Those are the ones with more complicated contemporary story lines, more characters, but at the heart there are the hero/heroine who fall happily in love at the end. Everyone together now......Awwwwwwwh.
Awww. :)

I'm a big sci-fi and fantasy fan, so I got interested in writing through novels that I would be embarrassed to read now. Star Trek, Dungeons & Dragons, stuff like that. So my early writing hewed that way. I never got any of those published, though, so for my latest novel I went for a magical realism modern romance novel, where the H/H (thanks for the term, Justine) both play the same online video game. That way I get to fit in elements of action-adventure while maintaining an overall focus on them falling in love.

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » February 15th, 2010, 6:09 pm

ryanznock wrote:
I'm a big sci-fi and fantasy fan, so I got interested in writing through novels that I would be embarrassed to read now. Star Trek, Dungeons & Dragons, stuff like that. So my early writing hewed that way. I never got any of those published, though, so for my latest novel I went for a magical realism modern romance novel, where the H/H (thanks for the term, Justine) both play the same online video game. That way I get to fit in elements of action-adventure while maintaining an overall focus on them falling in love.
That story sounds really neat and original. Good luck!

~JD

Emily White

Post by Emily White » February 16th, 2010, 11:45 am

I like writing fantasy with a twist. My current novel has fairies fighting with energy weapons and traversing the galaxy in space ships. I also have a fantasy/horror flash fiction about sirens on a killing rampage. It's fun and it always keeps me interested.
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page

kelly.morgan

Post by kelly.morgan » February 16th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Fantasy. Magic usually plays a large part (except in the novel I'm editing right now) or it's contemporary with a hint of romance.