So, you've got a zillion characters, things, places...

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
christi

So, you've got a zillion characters, things, places...

Post by christi » February 7th, 2010, 10:35 am

I'm working on an appendix right now of the many things that are new in my world that I'm going to post on my webpage. Just for curiosity's sake, do you guys prefer an appendix in a book or a lexicon of sorts online with links? I like the latter. Not all books have these things (appendices, I mean) and sometimes I really love that they do. Lord of the Rings, for example, NEEDED such a thing, but in Dune and Watership Down it also shed some interesting light on the new world I had just read about. What do you guys think?
Would you sign my story for a Klondike bar?

http://christigoddard.blogspot.com/

TheShadow

Re: So, you've got a zillion characters, things, places...

Post by TheShadow » February 7th, 2010, 11:15 am

Many Fantasy novels do need an appendix, I agree, like LOTR. But I think in this digital age of the internets the paper for an appendix could be saved. If it's a case of 'fliping to the appendix to find out what the hell is going on' then the writing could probably be touched up.
What dark dreams lay in dormant minds?

Kaitlyne

Post by Kaitlyne » February 8th, 2010, 11:11 pm

I'd rather have an appendix than a website. Now, a website I could go browse around after I finished might be fun, but I'd need the appendix to be part of the book. Most of the time, if I'm reading I'm not somewhere with a computer right there. Also, I'd find it more trouble to have to go to the computer, put in the website, etc. and look it up that way. In terms of e-books I could see it being handy to have a direct link where you just have to click the word being linked and the appendix entry pops up, but on average I'd much prefer to have it with the book. Seems like a lot less trouble.

bcomet

Post by bcomet » February 9th, 2010, 11:15 am

I keep a running notebook about my characters. In it, I list their names and relationships to each other or their professions. If their names mean something, I write that out too. I work out their time-lines as well.
I might consider an index of characters that includes the above, especially if there are numerous characters and/or time-lines or if the meanings behind the names chosen add intrigue or insight into the work as a separate contemplation and are better listed separately than woven into each character in the novel and can provide a little something extra.

I often feel this has a sort of parallel to reading a playbill before a play begins, acquainting myself with the cast.

However, with a novel, I think my preference would be to place it in the back of the book. That way, the characters can introduce themselves through the story. The reader can always refer to the back along the way as a choice, but not a preface reading. If they don't, at the end of the story, it might deepen the story and how a reader thinks about it and the characters later. I want the story to have a lingering affect. I want the reader to keep thinking about it and the character even after the story is over.

For myself–and not the novel (and not the index)–I will write–often in depth–about the individual characters in this notebook. It helps me flesh them out and learn their motivations, ticks, strengths, weaknesses. Some of this will go into the novel, but much of it feeds the characters from behind the story. If I do my job as a writer, I believe the reader will feel the back story or motivations.

What is so interesting to me is what can happen in this notebook that's going on with supporting characters.

I have found that keeping a "character notebook" is a tremendous tool for the novel at hand.