What Genre Is "Five People You Meet in Heaven"?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
AnimaDictio

What Genre Is "Five People You Meet in Heaven"?

Post by AnimaDictio » November 3rd, 2013, 6:58 pm

I intend to make a few research trips to local bookstores, but I thought I would ask the studied minds of this forum the following:

What genre is "Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom?

What genre is "This Present Darkness" by Frank Peretti?

What genre is "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov?

What genre is "The Shack" by William Paul Young?

I ask because these are the bestselling novels I've discovered which are similar to my work in progress. I'd love to know if there's some consensus label for books like these.

klbritt

Re: What Genre Is "Five People You Meet in Heaven"?

Post by klbritt » November 3rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

I'm no expert, and I haven't read all you posted, but IMO, "Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom and "The Shack" by William Paul Young would be Relgious Fiction. I don't know about the others...
~Kristie

-: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx :-

http://www.BKRivers.blogspot.com

polymath

Re: What Genre Is "Five People You Meet in Heaven"?

Post by polymath » November 3rd, 2013, 11:34 pm

AnimaDictio wrote:I intend to make a few research trips to local bookstores, but I thought I would ask the studied minds of this forum the following:

What genre is "Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom?

What genre is "This Present Darkness" by Frank Peretti?

What genre is "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov?

What genre is "The Shack" by William Paul Young?

I ask because these are the bestselling novels I've discovered which are similar to my work in progress. I'd love to know if there's some consensus label for books like these.
All four are in Christian fiction genre, or generally religious fiction; Albom's that and philosophical literary fiction, Peretti's mystery also, Bulgakov's mystical social commentary also, and Young's psychological maturation, or bildungsroman, also. Each in varying degrees explores religious identity based in Western Christian belief and value systems with small or large touches of mystical motifs in spiritual realms but not paranormal as well as spiritual relevance to mundane existence.
Spread the love of written word.