Do you write the same genre you read?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Cate Hart

Re: Do you write the same genre you read?

Post by Cate Hart » December 10th, 2009, 12:47 pm

I consider myself a reading whore, I will reading just about anything if it will "transport me off this rock" for at least a little while. But I find that I read more of what I'm writing at that moment. Right now, I writing YA paranormal and I find myself drawn in the bookstore to those titles. When I was working on my historical romance, that's what I read more of. And when I'm not writing (yeah right), I try to pick up literary classics like Pride and Prejudice or more literary high brow stuff.

BTW, nice new blog and forum, Nathan.

Sandy Shin

Post by Sandy Shin » December 10th, 2009, 12:57 pm

I definitely do read the same genre I write, though I don't write in all the genres I read. I write almost exclusively YA. Although that defines the majority of what I read, I also love SF/Fantasy, Mystery, and Historical Fiction. I wouldn't write in any of those genres (as of now), but I do enjoy reading them.

rose

Post by rose » December 13th, 2009, 1:03 pm

What a great question, Mira. I usually approach the forum via the View Active Topics choice. For some reason topics of this writing subgroup do not make it over to that display selection, so I apologize for my late arrival. (Have we only been meeting like this for a week now? Good go, Nathan!)

I have always loved biographies, memoirs, and travelogues, so the answer is yes I suppose. I read everything except sci-fi and fantasty, but cozies are my favorite brain candy. Cozies and mystery novels with a sense of place to them, a la Tony Hillerman.

rose
Follow my work at Smashwords:

Riders on the Rez http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/35697
The Good-Bye Man

coscooper

Post by coscooper » December 13th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Great question! I actually do read a lot of the genre I write. While I read a variety of genres, I do tend to stick with what I like. Thrillers, Mysteries and SF. All three are my favorite genres for writing as well.
Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.
~Albert Einstein

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 13th, 2009, 8:44 pm

rose wrote:What a great question, Mira. I usually approach the forum via the View Active Topics choice. For some reason topics of this writing subgroup do not make it over to that display selection, so I apologize for my late arrival. (Have we only been meeting like this for a week now? Good go, Nathan!)

I have always loved biographies, memoirs, and travelogues, so the answer is yes I suppose. I read everything except sci-fi and fantasty, but cozies are my favorite brain candy. Cozies and mystery novels with a sense of place to them, a la Tony Hillerman.

rose
Thanks for mentioning this. I fixed the settings so that topics from this forum should now be in the Active Topics list.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 14th, 2009, 1:00 am

As a general rule I will read whatever interests me.
Right now I am on a historical fiction/romance kick, so Eva Ibbotson and others like her are my top priority.
But I make a point to read a lot of YA and early adult, because I believe that by reading a lot of what you write, you get a better understanding of what works and what doesn't.

CV

dmarie84

Post by dmarie84 » December 14th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Mostly. I devour anything historical, whether it's historical fantasy or historical fiction. It's almost the only genre I read. I say almost because I've been getting into YA lately--but even then I tend to gravitate towards historical or fantasy based ones---fantasy that's NOT vampire or werewolf related, LOL.
The pleasantest of all diversions is to sit alone under the lamp, a book spread out before you, and to make friends with people of a distant past you have never known.--Yoshida Kenko, Essays in Idleness

My blog: Tales from the Writing Front

Trustedwriter

Post by Trustedwriter » December 16th, 2009, 11:03 pm

I write almost exclusively science-fiction and fantasy (not specifically YA, but not really "adult" either). Although I read those genres, I probably don't explore them as much as I should; I tend to be unfamiliar with their trends. Primarily, I read non-fiction (Christian living), and historical fiction.
"We don't need more Christian writers - we need more writers who are Christians." - C.S. Lewis

WIP - YA science-fiction/fantasy trilogy - third rewrite of the first book.

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » December 16th, 2009, 11:52 pm

I write historical fiction and I read (a lot of) historical fiction, but I don't read anything from the era of my WIP. I also find myself reading history and biographies as they come to hand. They provide nice springboards since you never know what little factoid will send you on a fun search for more information.

benjdutton

Post by benjdutton » December 17th, 2009, 2:44 pm

It is a good question. I read just about anything - if it's a good story well told you've got me. Don't care whether it's about humans, animals or elves. My default setting is literary fiction, especially literary Americana - Philip Roth, Cormac McCarthy etc and literary Irish - Sebastian Barry, Colm Toibin etc. My first novel was a love story, more chic lit than heavyweight. My second novel is more literary, certainly feminine in tone. The third is the mirror image of the second, closer in tone I think to Roth. The fourth, well, it's historical crime fiction so... I go back to what I said first, if it's a good story, I'll read it. We're here to tell stories, the genre should come later.

Tzalaran

Post by Tzalaran » December 17th, 2009, 3:29 pm

i've only written in the fantasy genre, and although Sci-fi/fantasy is my favorite genre, i read philosophy, political philosophy, thriller, horror, classics, and so on. everything except romance and erotica (although to broaden my horizons i did read the first book in a romance series that my wife thought i'd like. i liked it until the end, when i felt ripped off because the couple gets together but the huge battle that was eluded to didn't happen in that book, but happens 2 books later).

lately, i find myself reading more 'How-to' type books than anything ('Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain', photoshop tips and tricks, Mel scripting for technical directors and such).
I'd rather hate myself for failing, than hate my life for never having tried.
"Success leads to stagnation. Stagnation leads to failure." - Vlad Taltos

AceTachyon

Post by AceTachyon » December 17th, 2009, 5:16 pm

Yep.

I read SF and Fantasy. I write SF and Fantasy. Although at the moment, I'm writing SF.

I also read mystery, mostly the Spenser novels by Robert Parker.

And every so often, I'll grab an Executioner book.
--Ace
KAT AND MOUSE: GUNS FOR HIRE - Cyberpunk action-adventure every Monday.
Website | Blog | Twitter

Terry

Post by Terry » December 17th, 2009, 6:26 pm

For the most part, yes. I'm a murder mystery buff.

But I also read whatever catches my attention. . . and a lot does. I like to browse bookstores and online and listen to recommendations.

gpetersen

Post by gpetersen » December 18th, 2009, 1:36 am

I would say no, but that is just I tend to read more classic works (currently working on the Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser) so I can't really write classics since they are in the past and can't be their contemporaries. However, I tend to write more modern fantasy usually devoid of any historical settings. I believe what I read helps me set up the writing which I produce. I pull from each book I read, regardless of genre, and apply it creating a base in my work.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » December 20th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Well, I write Literary and Fantasy, and in short fiction I tend to write magical realist crossbreeds of the two.

But I'm pretty omnivorous as a reader. Just about anything, really. Though, if I had to break it down, I read more Lit fiction than anything else, followed by history, memoir and fantasy. Though it should be noted that growing up I read truly vast amounts of fantasy, literally in the thousands. I still read fantasy, but I'm much more choosy. Part of why I write in that genre is that early impression, I think, that early desire to be a fantasy novelist. But part of it is also that I want to write a particular sort of fantasy story, one that I have trouble finding as a reader. You write what you want to read that has yet to be written. If everyone else is slacking off, you'll just have to do it yourself. :)
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com