Need help with a group name

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Preacher

Need help with a group name

Post by Preacher » November 8th, 2012, 8:41 am

I am working on a story about a special unit of soldiers that was created to deal with extra special threats to both national and world security. I need a name for the group and have run into a wall. Jeremy Robinson has his group called the Chess team which is part of a bigger organization called Endgame. Another writer, David Lynn Golemon, has The Even Group. I am looking for a name for my unit so any suggestions are welcome .....

klbritt

Re: Need help with a group name

Post by klbritt » November 8th, 2012, 11:39 am

Special Threats Unit Defenders [or Division] (S.T.U.D.S) haha!

That's all I've got ;)
~Kristie

-: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx :-

http://www.BKRivers.blogspot.com

polymath

Post by polymath » November 8th, 2012, 6:34 pm

U.S. Special Forces paratroopers originated the term Chalk for a stick of soldiers' order leaving a perfectly good airplane in midair. Stick comes from how unguided bombs are held in a bomb bay, on a stick. When the stick was released they all fell off. Stick means a squad in that context. The term chalk derived from the practice of marking paratroopers' shoulders with chalk so when they stood up and hooked up they were in the preferred drop sequence.

Similarly HALO team, for high altitude, low open parachuting. SEAL for sea, air, and land. Add space and what might that be: SESAL, which could become Cecil phonetically.

Etc.
Spread the love of written word.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » November 9th, 2012, 10:44 am

there was the fictional CTU for Counter Terrorism Unit. How about calling it the STU - Special Threats Unit or BTU for Bio Threats Unit .....

LizV

Post by LizV » November 18th, 2012, 7:50 pm

STU sounds good to me.

If you wanted to play with the acronym, you could make it the Special Threats Field Unit. Or the unit members could have a running in-joke of adding various words starting with F to the unit's name. It sounds like the sort of joke the military types of my acquaintance would get a kick out of.

(BTU just makes me think British Thermal Unit.)

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » December 1st, 2012, 1:05 am

I really like STFU, but that leads me to what I was going to say before I saw that post: personally I'm pretty sick of acronyms for things like this. I think that dead horse has been beaten enough already, especially with blunt instruments like "Field Intelligence Strike Team" or "War Operations Logistics Field Procedure Attack Commando Kabal". Unless you're going to have some fun with it--STFU being a good example--I'd try to come up with something else, and even then it depends on the kind of tone you're going with. In my experience, military blokes tend to have a bit of a sense of humor at their own expense, so even if things are pretty serious, it could still work.

On the other hand, there's also giving them a real name. I always have trouble with this sort of thing, so I'll just try to think of some non-acronym special ops teams from fiction: The Untouchables. The Expendables. Indigo Prime. The Iron Grenadiers. The Wreckers. Iscariot. The Coil. The Legion of Doom. Dumbledore's Army. Science Ninja Team. (I'm sure higher literature has some more examples.)
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

LizV

Post by LizV » December 5th, 2012, 5:06 pm

@John - Granted, I don't have much patience either with the acronym first - name second (and usually horribly contorted to fit the acronym) approach. However, there's no denying the military loves their acronyms, especially TLAs. It'd add a nice dash of realism to Preacher's fictional unit if they had an acronym, IMO, even if they also had a "real" name that they used more often.

boozysassmouth

Post by boozysassmouth » December 6th, 2012, 11:13 pm

I agree with LizV that an acronym would add realism. If you don't like that you could try doing something like Psy-Ops, which is Psychological Operations. If you go with the The Expendables/Indigo Prime type of name, I would suggest you use that as a self-proclaimed name for the team. Possibly something they said jokingly, but stuck as a name. Like you said, them having fun with it.
"Please explain to me the scientific nature of the whammy." - Dana Scully