Does YA or Adult fiction,

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
JustSarah

Does YA or Adult fiction,

Post by JustSarah » October 28th, 2012, 5:30 pm

Generally tend to switch over mid book? I have a situation sort of, where the main girl is coping with loss without her guardian around mid novellette. (The second 5,750 words.) From that point it become sort of a military sf coming of age story. In fact by the first 5,750 words, the main boys mother is not even shown in the, but simply implied to no longer be with us.

vivalalauren

Re: Does YA or Adult fiction,

Post by vivalalauren » October 28th, 2012, 6:10 pm

I think there are plenty of YA - and even some middle grade - where guardian are out of the picture. :)

JustSarah

Post by JustSarah » October 28th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Well there is a guardian, thats the issue. He just kind of dissappears mid book. Its slowly becomes sort of like a teenage wasteland.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » October 29th, 2012, 11:21 am

I'm no expert in YA by any means, but just because a guardian disappears doesn't automatically change the age group of a book. There are plenty children's and YA that have characters dealing with these "grown up" issues for the first time, or trying to accomodate these new paradigms into their worldview. That's the whole point of YA literature.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

afamiliarletter

Post by afamiliarletter » October 30th, 2012, 3:32 am

I'm wondering if by "switch" is meant genre, tone of the story, or the plot, or the character arcs? Am I close? Just trying to understand your question so I can pitch in properly.

I would say of course the tone should stay consistent throughout. The story arc & character arc should follow a logical, well thought out course. If there's a big change in the plot at the midpoint, then that's cool as long as the characters exhibit in-character changes, if any.

I think dios4vida is right that YA fiction is about that period of turmoil and change where everything can potentially be up for grabs. I'm not an expert in the genre either, so don't take my advice as anything close to gospel.

Amanda Elizabeth

Post by Amanda Elizabeth » October 30th, 2012, 6:55 am

If you notice (which you may not, I just read a lot of the genre), in many YA fiction the adults are either the antagonists, dead, or have a reason to be absent. And actually, off the top of my head it is almost always the case in sci-fi/fantasy (Hunger Games, Twilight, Mortal Instruments, Divergent, Harry Potter). It makes for a dull book if the characters have to ask permission every time they're going to do something. At the end of Divergent for example...
Spoiler:
both of Tris's parents are killed, because obviously it would make for not as cool of a heroine if she had her parents around.

JustSarah

Post by JustSarah » October 30th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Yea I'm leaning toward adults are dead situation. (Adults are alive in part one and two, and the early parts of three. Its a six parter.)