Powers-Sci Fi and Fantasy

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Shipple

Powers-Sci Fi and Fantasy

Post by Shipple » September 28th, 2012, 7:27 pm

So, I'm working on a list of the types of power you see in science fiction and fantasy (for my blog and for myself), and I'd love input on any I'm missing. I feel like the primary one is magic, but there's so much more, and so many types of magic.

Anyway, here's my list. I look forward to your contributions!

-Magic
  • -From nature/ley lines
    -Inherent from birth
    -From objects of power
    -Learned/academic magic
    -From other beings, such as demons (either direct theft of their power or use of the demons to do your bidding)
-Inborn Powers
  • -(Obviously magic can be one of these)
    -Control over an "element," Ex. Avatar
    -Talents, Ex. healing, telepathy, clairvoyance
-Superpowers, Ex. flying, super strength, invisibility

-Superhumans/Mixed-breed humans/Mutants (very similar to above, but I feel it can be worthy of it's own mention)

-Religious powers
  • -Power from a specific God
    -The Force (Star Wars)
    -Reverend Mothers (Dune)
So, obviously there's overlap, but I was just interested in taking a look at some of the basic types of powers out there b/c I figured it might be a handy writing tool at some point in time.
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - J.K. Rowling (an awesome opening line)
Me: http://sarahhipple.blogspot.com/ and http://shipple.tumblr.com/

JohnDurvin

Re: Powers-Sci Fi and Fantasy

Post by JohnDurvin » October 13th, 2012, 9:48 pm

I recommend you just go hit up TV Tropes; that will answer your question better than anything I can say. All I'll add is the classic "animal powers" motif that runs from classical mythology up through Spider-Man.

What you've got so far seems to be mixing "origins of powers" and "types of powers", which I would call different lists. For example, Superman gets his powers by being an alien, and his powers include flying, strength, assorted visions and breaths, etc. If you separate it, you'll probably find the information easier to sort.
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Shipple

Post by Shipple » October 15th, 2012, 10:08 am

Cool!

I was more creating the list to get things straight in my head and for fun than because I needed it, but that's part of why I posted it-to see what all of you would come up with, and to see things like the List of Powers.
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - J.K. Rowling (an awesome opening line)
Me: http://sarahhipple.blogspot.com/ and http://shipple.tumblr.com/

MHPHILLIPS

Post by MHPHILLIPS » October 16th, 2012, 12:06 am

Dear Shipple,

One sort or type of power is not derived from science or birth, but by title.

1. Wizard=Many revere or respect or fear someone who has powers that can't be explained...
2. King=He has the power to end someone's existence...
3. Warrior=With a sword or some type of weapon, they can inflict much pain or worse...
4. Plumber=The fee to fix a washing machine moves one to buy a new one...

Each has power, but many will bow before them based on who they are and not what they can or can not do magically. Maybe this will make your list or perhaps not...Is that not a power as well?