Does anyone,

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
JustSarah

Does anyone,

Post by JustSarah » September 28th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Create a whole world to use for a collection of short stories? Often what I do is generate a new world idea. And then I see how many short stories I can come up with to fully explore that world.

The drawback is I have a hard time thinking of anything to say after 2,000 words.

Beethovenfan

Re: Does anyone,

Post by Beethovenfan » September 28th, 2012, 7:39 pm

I don't even know how to write a short story. If I come up with a world, that in itself takes half a novel, then all the "story" that goes with it leads to the rest of the novel plus at least another. (I'm very long-winded.) :roll:
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

ladymarella

Post by ladymarella » September 28th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Yeah, but with novels, not short stories. Though mine is a historical novel, it involves a lot of world building, with the genealogy of the entire village plotted out, with some branches going back to the Normans. And then I get more and more side branches. I can see me living in this world and writing pieces set in it for a very long time.
Currently composing a sprawling family saga set in 19th century England
The world may be divided into people that read, people that write, people that think, and fox-hunters.'- William Shenstone,

bcomet

Post by bcomet » September 28th, 2012, 10:49 pm

oh this sounds like such a Great writing challenge...creating a world and asking a bunch of writers to find a story in it. inspiring.