chapter question.

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
christi

Re: chapter question.

Post by christi » February 11th, 2010, 6:02 pm

And I love the new signature, Brian ;-)
Would you sign my story for a Klondike bar?

http://christigoddard.blogspot.com/

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » February 11th, 2010, 6:07 pm

I think chapters should be as long or short as they need to be. If your book's accepted for representation by an agent and publication by a publishing house, the agent or editor might request changes, but that happens no matter what the original length of chapters.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

susaninvt

Post by susaninvt » February 12th, 2010, 2:57 pm

I think it all depends on the genre and how you want to handle the pacing. I've read some fantasy books with very long chapters followed by a one pager. In some instances, the one page chapter was distracting and interrupted the flow of the book. However, in another book, it just helped to move things along. With YA and Romance, the chapters were relatively short. This made it a lot easier to find a stopping point for the reader. I think I'd be more nervous about an overly long chapter than a short chapter...

Here's a link I thought it was pretty helpful...

http://writing-novels.suite101.com/arti ... o_chapters

Bohemienne

Post by Bohemienne » February 12th, 2010, 3:59 pm

susaninvt wrote:I think I'd be more nervous about an overly long chapter than a short chapter...
I certainly get nervous about this. I enjoy reading shorter-chaptered books because a lot of my reading is done on a train, or in line somewhere... and I hate having to stop halfway through something really ponderous! Right now my first chapter is 3300 words and I feel like that's far, far too much for a first chapter. Even though it's followed by two 1000-worders... and then a 5000 word monstrosity after that. Yuk! I have a lot of whittling ahead.