What are you writing now?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Kaitlyne

What are you writing now?

Post by Kaitlyne » January 16th, 2010, 3:59 am

Has this really not been done yet? I just did a quick browse but couldn't see anything about it. Anyway, the "Who writes literary fic" got me wondering...what sort of stories do you write?

My last was a pretty lighthearted suspense story (which apparently is weird). I'm currently working on submissions, so we'll see if anything comes of it. It's gonna be a long-shot, though. My current one is a quirky action sort of story, also pretty lighthearted, though a bit harder to define. It's basically a comic book story in novel form with a dose of satire/parody included.

I think most of what I write tends to fall under suspense. Mostly. Kinda. ;)

taylormillgirl

Re: What are you writing now?

Post by taylormillgirl » January 16th, 2010, 9:56 am

I'm currently revising the third draft of my first (completed) novel. It's YA with elements of science fiction and romance.
Author of hot & humorous romances, debut novel coming in 2012 from Sourcebooks!
http://macybeckett.com/

Jaime

Post by Jaime » January 16th, 2010, 10:28 am

Great topic, Kaitlyne! I can't believe it hasn't been done, either!

My MS is a paranormal romance, which is a genre I never thought I'd write! I actually sat down to write another idea I've had for years, which was a science fiction novel with elements of romance and comedy, but this paranormal romance was screaming to be written (and so is its sequel) :)

marccolbourne

Post by marccolbourne » January 16th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Hello there,

I am currently working on a non-fiction/memoir of an Iranian refugee currently living in Canada. He is 29 and had to flee his country after starting the first underground gay and lesbian human rights organization there. Punishment in Iran for being gay ranges from torture to execution. He is continuing his important work from Canada. He has won several international human rights awards and has been featured in documentaries. It is an incredible story and I am hoping to do it justice. I am working from more than 700 pages of transcripts from our interviews! A daunting task at times but it is a story I am proud to be a part of telling.

In my spare time (Yeah, right. What is that???) I am working on a literary/mainstream novel.

I am interested in hearing what other people in this forum are working on. Thanks for starting this thread!

Marc

Dankrubis

Post by Dankrubis » January 16th, 2010, 3:18 pm

I'm doing a comedic vampire novel. For mature audiences only.

Crystal

Post by Crystal » January 16th, 2010, 4:46 pm

I am working on a mystery. Sort of fun, sort of lots of work. lol

I have another idea of a middle aged woman's diary....we'll see.
Working my very first attempt at a mystery novel. 1st draft

Harper Karcz

Post by Harper Karcz » January 16th, 2010, 5:34 pm

I'm doing the second full rewrite (argh) of a YA magic realism novel. Actually, the first draft was a straight-up YA contemporary, but it was mostly plotless and boring. The second draft was more of a lesbian romance, but an agent who critiqued the first 20 pages or so said that it was still lacking a plot element. So now, on this third draft, it's becoming a YA GLBT magic realism contemporary romance. Phew!

(Not that I would query it that way. But in my head, that's my genre.)
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » January 16th, 2010, 7:41 pm

I'm working on a YA paranotmal right now and I have a few YA and MG ideas to start on after I finish this one. :-)

Ermo

Post by Ermo » January 16th, 2010, 8:59 pm

The sad thing is - I'm having a real hard time describing what I'm writing. That can't be promising for saleability.

Aimée

Post by Aimée » January 16th, 2010, 11:10 pm

I guess mine would be considered literary because I don't know what else it would be called... it has a little bit of romance in it. not much, but still a little too much for my taste.
also, i'm working on about four different stories at the same time, but that is my main one. I guess I just have a short attention span and can't work on one at a time.
the other ones are: a crime drama sort of (maybe suspense)
a paranormal/religious romance/mystery which is really hard to define...
and the last one is humor I guess, though I'm not very funny, so maybe it's just literary
well, I didn't realize how different they all were until I listed them there...

Kaitlyne

Post by Kaitlyne » January 17th, 2010, 9:10 am

Jaime wrote:Great topic, Kaitlyne! I can't believe it hasn't been done, either!

My MS is a paranormal romance, which is a genre I never thought I'd write! I actually sat down to write another idea I've had for years, which was a science fiction novel with elements of romance and comedy, but this paranormal romance was screaming to be written (and so is its sequel) :)
My last one and this one have both had tons of humor. It's so weird, because I never thought I'd do humor. ;) Most of what I used to write always tended to be pretty dark and broody. I like this tone better. :) Funny how things like this work, isn't it?

J Koyanagi

Post by J Koyanagi » January 17th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Speculative fiction. I'm querying a sci-fi novel and working on another. I also just finished an adult fairy tale short story. Dark fantasy, I suppose.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » January 17th, 2010, 1:09 pm

A few months ago, I finished writing a science fiction novel, GODS IN THE MACHINE. I have quite a few books published through small press, but am hoping that GODS IN THE MACHINE will get published through a big publishing house. I contacted Alan Rinzler and am now working with him to fine-tune the manuscript. GODS IN THE MACHINE contains lots of futuristic politics, and I think the final version will most likely be a science fiction political thriller. I talk with Alan Rinzler on the phone next week, and then I’m going to hunker down and edit.

I started writing a YA steampunk novel with the working title of TUNNEL RAT, set in the sewer system beneath the streets of Las Vegas, but I’m going to put that on the back burner until GODS IN THE MACHINE is completely edited.

I write mostly science fiction and fantasy, often with literary style language.

Last week, I received news that a post-apocalyptic short story I wrote, DIALING THE FUTURE, will be published in an anthology.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

shadow

Post by shadow » January 17th, 2010, 3:34 pm

I am 50,000 words through rewriting my first YA fantasy novel. It's originally 90,000 words so I am close to done YAY!!! I am actually writing chapter 18 now and I should really not be on here because I am writing but I get sidetracked like we all do :)
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Nick

Post by Nick » January 17th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Literal right now: This post.
Not-so-literal: Right now I'm at a bit of a stoppage but I was working on a good ol' fashioned fluffy mystery. Did some editing a few nights ago to fix some of the problems, but inspiration just ain't striking. C'est la vie, I suppose.