Looking to change the world (thrillers anyway)

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
seeleyjames

Looking to change the world (thrillers anyway)

Post by seeleyjames » August 21st, 2012, 1:41 pm

I've read Nathan's blog for ages and somehow missed that there was a forum until today. My already-high opinion of Nathan went higher yet. But that makes me new, so I don't know anyone and will apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong place.

I'm looking for a little help/advice regarding my Kickstarter project.

I want to change heroines in thrillers. Can you think of one female lead in mystery/thrillers who owns a big company? Any leadership role models for young women?

Books are important to me both as a reader and as a father. Dangerous stacks litter our rooms and shelves. My 13 yr old son loves Star Wars books and Lee Child and many others. He walks around with a book/iPad in his hand more than an Xbox controller. Plenty of manly role models.

But my 15 yr old daughter complains that women in fiction never hold leadership roles. Even Katniss was a reluctant leader. I ran a poll on my website and found almost as many people clicked “Still Looking for a Great Thriller Heroine” as clicked on Katniss. I also wanted an exciting thriller heroine who was a role model and a leader. So I wrote my own.

And now I’m hoping others will join the cause by backing my Kickstarter project http://kck.st/QNvlUT

My questions are:
- It resonates with my friends (a given) but does this resonate with anyone else?
- Can you help shed some light on a good place for exposure?
- Any other thoughts/advice?

Thank you, Seeley

polymath

Re: Looking to change the world (thrillers anyway)

Post by polymath » August 21st, 2012, 3:37 pm

See Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpeta novels, medical examiner thrillers. See Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels, mysteries. Strong female protagonists, role models perhaps. Compare and contrast with Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer novels, mystery thrillers, in which powerful, intelligent, attractive, and charismatic women leaders are the villains of the pieces.
Spread the love of written word.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 21st, 2012, 3:47 pm

J.D. Robb's In Death novels have a very strong female lead, though they are definitely for mature audiences only.

I'm always in favor of strong female role models, so way to go!!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » August 22nd, 2012, 7:06 am

For me, you've rendered your point/question redundant by sticking a link to your kickstarter project on here....

Couching marketting or advertising beneath a veneer of regular conversation is generally not that subtle.....

And if that wasn't your intention then I apologise, but warn you more than a few people will feel the same way, and therefore if you want to avoid this kind of reaction, I'd watch for accidentally dropping marketting/advertising into social interactions.

seeleyjames

Post by seeleyjames » August 24th, 2012, 6:45 pm

polymath, I'm not sure I understand your reply. I am looking to create a woman leader. I know there are many good female characters, but they're usually below the glass ceiling.

Hillsy, not my intention. I thought a link would allow for more information if desired instead of posting a lot more info.

Thanks all.