Your Favorite Fantasy

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Sanderling

Re: Your Favorite Fantasy

Post by Sanderling » August 29th, 2012, 12:12 am

CharleeVale wrote:"Sign bombing" Going to a bookstore and randomly signing copies of my book with secret messages. Maybe that lead to youtube videos or other fun prizes/content.
I love this. :) If I'd had more time I would've liked to've stopped in bookstores as I was doing my tour. As it was I just stopped in one and signed the single copy they had there. And I didn't even include any secret messages.
My blog / Twitter
"Because if you have at least a modicum of talent and if you live by these six rules, you will make it."
--Robert J. Sawyer, speaking here of Heinlein's Rules.

JohnDurvin

Re: Your Favorite Fantasy

Post by JohnDurvin » August 29th, 2012, 1:42 am

I wish my aspirations were more literary, but my dream is to some day have the clout to be able to waltz right into media outlets and pitch them ideas and have them listen to me (and, of course, pick up the pitches and do them.) I want to be at the creative helm of a media empire--like Neil Gaiman. I'm pretty sure that guy could walk into the office of anybody from the Lifetime Network to Def Jam Records and get a contract. Personally, first I'll get my American YA fantasy series "Li'l Acorn and the Republic of Pareidolia" made into an epic film septology, then I'm hitting up Cartoon Network first for a surreal action series (which I will do some voice acting for). Next I'll swing by an electro record company and get a music contract. Finally I'll set my sights on video games...

Ambitious, ain't I?

While not authors per se, I thought I'd share what the creators of Mortal Kombat said they would take as the sign that they had "made it": ShrinkyDinks of their characters. (Incidentally, they succeeded at that.)
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).