Separate email accounts for personal and writing ? names?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
mockingbird

Re: Separate email accounts for personal and writing ? names?

Post by mockingbird » January 26th, 2013, 8:09 pm

I haven't had much need for my writing account yet, since my final draft won't be ready for another couple months, but, yes, I do keep separate accounts, mostly to keep separate parts of my life, well, separate. But it's also because, when I do start sending out that query letter, I don't want to have to mentally prepare myself before checking my regular email.

AEKalquist

Post by AEKalquist » January 26th, 2013, 11:56 pm

I have an entire thing set up to keep writing separate. I have a website that is my name, and I have an e-mail address with my domain name in it. I think it's good to separate it if you are serious about it as a business.

danu1

Post by danu1 » January 30th, 2013, 12:58 am

it is true that i have several email accounts. but i'd like to keep everything important in one email. such as writing and as well as family emails.

thewordsmith

Post by thewordsmith » February 1st, 2013, 1:42 pm

I like to keep my personal life and my business life apart. So, too, I like to keep my writing business life apart. I do not keep my personal correspondence seperated, whether family, friends, or other writers. I have a separate e-mail for my business mail and do not cross over my personal emails and business e-mails. Likewise, I do keep submissions-type correspondence in a separate e-mail. Reason? My personal e-mail is under my slang moniker. My professional one reflects a more professional demeanor in using my formal name. (You don't want to be sending queries, etc. to an agent from "WhackedJack" or "MimisMommy" or something like that. You want to present a professional image when approaching an agent via e-mail just as you would if you were to go into his or her office personally. It is also easier to track correspondence that way.