Soundtrack?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
LurkingVirologist

Soundtrack?

Post by LurkingVirologist » July 16th, 2012, 11:14 pm

I'm curious how many of ya'll have specific soundtracks for different scenes or characters in your WiP? I've gotten a lot of ideas while driving around and listening to music, and I definitely have specific artists that I associate with different characters. I can't listen to music while I'm actually writing (too distracting), but if I'm listening to a particular album on the way home from work, I'll slip into thinking about the character I associate that album with, and what he or she is up to in the story. Sometimes makes for good brainstorming time.

Alternately, some artists are all about tone rather than specific characters. Lisa Gerrard being the classic example. How can you not think epic after listening to "gortoz a ran" or "sacrifice?" Seriously.

Anywho, I figured it might be fun to hear what other people have going for their WiP(s) and/or MC soundtracks, so I'll start the ball rolling.

Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal
The National - High Violet
Joy Division - Closer
The Distillers - Coral Fang
Tool - Aenima
The Kills - Blood Pressures
Future Islands - On the Water
Portishead - Third

Genre: Cyberpunk
Zola Jesus - Conatus
The Glitch Mob - Drink the Sea
Future Sound of London - Dead Cities
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
"Books break the shackles of time, proof that humans can work magic." -Carl Sagan

CharleeVale

Re: Soundtrack?

Post by CharleeVale » July 17th, 2012, 12:16 am

Always. It's hard for me to write without a soundtrack. And then I listen to it in the car as well so my mind can be subconsciously working.

CV

wordranger

Post by wordranger » July 17th, 2012, 8:51 pm

I really love Jablonsky's Transformers soundtrack. (From the first movie). It is great to help inspire tension building in a scene.

I've also listened to the Inception sountrack when I'm not writing high-action. It's soothing.
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

LurkingVirologist

Post by LurkingVirologist » July 17th, 2012, 9:20 pm

wordranger wrote:I really love Jablonsky's Transformers soundtrack. (From the first movie). It is great to help inspire tension building in a scene.

I've also listened to the Inception sountrack when I'm not writing high-action. It's soothing.
I just googled the Inception soundtrack. Didn't realize Hans Zimmer scored it. He's done some fantastic work over the decades. I'll give it a whirl.
"Books break the shackles of time, proof that humans can work magic." -Carl Sagan

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 18th, 2012, 11:23 am

Hum... Anything Mumford & Sons. :oops: They became so thoroughly associated with my current WIP that if I hear them play, it'll make me eager to write. It started because 1) I am batshit groupie in love with their music (I tend to obsess about things I like, for the record) and 2) the lyrics from one of their tunes could describe almost perfectly the background of one of my characters. So I started playing them all the time while I wrote, and the consequence is that if I don't listen to them, then I feel like something's missing.

When I'm not writing this WIP, however, I'll listen to Karkwa a lot too. They're a great group from Quebec (which means most of you probably never heard about them at all) and a lot of their music is 1) very intense and 2) procures an incredible ambiance. You don't need to understand the lyrics to appreciate, so if you're in search of fantastic instrumental rock music (I don't know how else to describe it), you ought to check them out and see if they fall within your department.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

LizV

Post by LizV » July 18th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Great topic, LurkingVirologist! I love making mixes anyway, so of course I don't miss a chance to make them for my writing projects.

The soundtrack for the espionage novel I'm currently putting the finishing touches on was:
1. Peter Gabriel - Come Talk To Me
2. Jackson Browne - The Next Voice You Hear
3. Nine Inch Nails - Ruiner
4. The Editors - Munich
5. Heaven 17 - Let Me Go
6. U2 - Red Hill Mining Town
7. Berlin - Lost My Mind
8. The Shins - Split Needles
9. Lying in States - Fall Or Stumble
10. Action Action - Oh My Dear It's Just Chemical Frustration
11. Placebo - Every You Every Me
12. Peter Murphy - Cuts You Up
13. U2 - Bad
14. Charlotte Martin - Four Walls
15. Foo Fighters - Long Road To Ruin
16. Josh Joplin Group - Matter
17. U2 - Acrobat
18. Counting Crows - Four Days

Some songs are for specific scenes or characters -- "Ruiner" is the main antagonist, for example, from the protag's POV -- while some are just in there for mood, or for general concept, or occasionally because one line grabs me and won't let go. And sometimes the meaning of a song shifts during the writing: "Munich" started out as just a mood piece for me, but a couple of lines in it kicked off a plot twist that became a major part of the novel.

The mix for the next novel is still in flux; I put something together when I started writing, but it really wasn't working. Oasis and Bush are featuring prominently so far.

I sometimes wonder, does listening to certain music bias our interpretation of our own work? Does this scene have the emotional effect I want because I really wrote it that way, or because I've got "Come Talk To Me" running in my head? It makes me wish I could distribute the soundtrack to readers, except that my interpretations of songs are idiosyncratic enough that I'm not sure that would actually help.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 19th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Figured I'd jump back in and share the soundtrack for my WIP. (Though it's a little longer than everyone else's) This soundtrack is on odd combo of rock, and emotional instrumental combination, but I feel like it really gets the mood of my WIP.

1. Air for Life (With Andy Moore) - Above & Beyond
2. Please Don't Go - Barcelona
3. Red Stars - The Birthday Massacre
4. Dance With the Devil - Breaking Benjamin
5. The Cost of Living - Craig Armstrong
6. Leave the Zone - Craig Armstrong
7. Prague - Damien Rice
8. Raise Your Weapon - deadmau5
9. Escape - Fireflight
10. Never Let Me Go - Florence + The Machine
11. Fall Again - Glenn Lewis
12. Illuminated - Hurts
13. Cathedrals - Jump Little Children
14. E.T. - Katy Perry (NOT the Kanye West version)
15. I'm Alive - The Material
16. Sing for Absolution - Muse
17. We Are Broken - Paramore
18. Breathe Into Me - Red
19. Let Go - Red
20. Pieces - Red
21. Cello - Slowdive
22. Dangerous and Moving - T.A.T.U.
23. Escape - 30 Seconds to Mars
24. Hurricane (Feat. Kanye West) - 30 Seconds to Mars & Kanye West
25. Conviction - Groove Addicts

Hope you guys enjoy it!

CV

klbritt

Post by klbritt » July 19th, 2012, 11:31 pm

I discovered Pandora a couple months back and it plays from my Receiver at home and on my iPhone - I am ALWAYS tuned into the Gotye channel...Can't get enough of Gotye, Mumford & Suns, Florence + the Machine and Jem!!!

~Kristie
~Kristie

-: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx :-

http://www.BKRivers.blogspot.com