Over the line?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
abc

Re: Over the line?

Post by abc » May 27th, 2012, 4:31 pm

I think it is adorable and not over the line. Keep it! (and I've got quite a few references to masturbation in my YA WIP with a male protag.)

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » May 29th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Now that I've read the line in question I'd say it's absolutely appropriate, as long as that voice is in keeping with the grandmother's character throughout the story. As far as context goes, any reader old enough to pick up on the reference will get a sympathetic chuckle out of it, and any reader not old enough will think it's grandma bitching about having to do a teenager's laundry. Judy Blume made references like this in YA lit 35 years ago, don't hesitate to leave this in your story.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Mark.W.Carson

Post by Mark.W.Carson » May 30th, 2012, 12:05 am

Thanks. MY wife is one dissenting voice, with lots of people, on this forum and elsewhere, in agreement with me. It stays :).

Now if I could just find the will to start up again. I really want to get out of this funk of writing maybe 1 or 2 chapters a week and get moving.

cozycoleman

Post by cozycoleman » June 25th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Might I dare to say that most 15 year old boys would get it completely. They've probably woken with a wet sheet or two. Many 15 year old girls would get it too. Those that wouldn't just would keep on reading. It's not like they would go say "Hey Mom/Dad, what does this line mean?"

Just my 22cents.

:)
Sharon (mom of a teenage boy)