Writers Block Is NOT A Lie

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
writersblockisreal

Writers Block Is NOT A Lie

Post by writersblockisreal » January 14th, 2010, 10:47 pm

I’ll admit, I’m a little passionate (and yes, I purposefully chose a term that would be forgiving and make me look good). But the truth must be heard, right? And so, in pursuit of proving that writer’s block is not the equivalent of the yeti or bigfoot, I made a quick and irrational decision and decided that my username is ‘writersblockisreal’. See how adamant I am, there must be some truth to my claim.

Since I’m sure Nathan does not particularly enjoy reading topic after topic, I’ll try to keep this short and sweet. And Nathan, if you secretly (or not so secretly) just itch to get home and read these nonsensical ramblings of strangers then I apologize. For the next contest I will make my submission considerably longer.

Writers Block: the ultimate excuse to take a ‘holiday’. It really isn’t fair how the British can take weeks off at a time with the pure excuse of “I’m going on holiday”. However, even if we abuse our privilege of the dreaded writer’s block, that does not mean it is entirely a myth. Sometimes you just don’t know what’s going on in your story. You’ve gotten to that point where you’ve laid your heart down on the page and you just don’t think that pulling out a kidney and liver will get you anywhere. Don’t worry, you’re first instinct was right. The heart is the only thing that ever need be splattered across a page. But it’s not hopeless. There are cures.

Leave it. Yes, I mean leave the beautiful string of words that you have so carefully pieced together over the last ten minutes or ten years or anywhere in between. No, don’t stop writing altogether. Just move onto a completely different and irrelevant project. Inspiration will come, I promise, and you can either wait for that inspiration futilely or continue what you love to do most: write. After all, what kind of deranged person would put themselves through the distress of a writer’s life if they didn’t love to do it?

-Elizabeth

lkblackburne

Re: Writers Block Is NOT A Lie

Post by lkblackburne » January 15th, 2010, 10:53 am

I find that if I give myself permission to write crap and just start putting stuff down, or skip to a differnet part of the project, then the juices will eventually start flowing.
A Brain Scientist's Take on Creative Writing
http://blog.liviablackburne.com

emilycross

Re: Writers Block Is NOT A Lie

Post by emilycross » January 15th, 2010, 11:22 am

Very similar to my own post here - it seems ultimately its down to 'not obsessing' over it and leaving it be. In my experience thats when the juices begin to flow