Writer's block

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Rebecca Kiel

Writer's block

Post by Rebecca Kiel » February 1st, 2012, 2:12 pm

I am sure all writers at some point or other have hit a wall with their writing. The difference between successful writers and those who wanted to be writers long ago has to do with perseverance. How we use these hitting-the-wall experiences (is most areans in our lives, really) has an incredible link to outcome.

What information can you gain from the wall you hit? Is it your characters? Wrong turn in creating the plot?

What do you do when you hit the wall?

Here's to sticking with it!

Rebecca Kiel

Http://rebeccakielpages.blogspot.com

Walker

Re: Writer's block

Post by Walker » February 1st, 2012, 3:02 pm

I find my subconscious is the best friend I have when things aren't working. If I sit and try to figure things out, it usually results in just frustration. But if I get away from the writing, I find the solution to my problem comes to me when I am doing something else -driving on my commute, taking a shower, grocery shopping -whatever. Somewhere in my brain I know what to do -I just have to relax and let it happen.

amandalinehan

Post by amandalinehan » February 3rd, 2012, 10:41 am

I find that I get blocked when something pops into my head to write, and, for some reason, I don't want to write it.

I usually find that I resist the idea for a least a few minutes, but as soon as I begin writing what my original thought was, the block disappears and the words start coming again. Fortunately, I've never had writer's block for a significant period of time (better knock on wood), but I've found that it usually comes from resisting something.

Gypson

Post by Gypson » February 3rd, 2012, 10:44 pm

The times I've experienced writer's block signified that there were serious 'problems' with the draft(s) I was working on. I resolve writer's block by taking time away from my WIP until such major issues are resolved. This break from writing can last anywhere between one day and two years.

Taking a break is necessary for me when I hit a dead end. The times when I've tried to force my way through the blahs yielded poor writing that inevitably was cut from the WIP altogether. Taking a break lets me return with fresh ideas and a fresh mind.

Margo

Post by Margo » February 5th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Write through it. The results are never as bad as feared. It's not something you can give in to if you're going to make a living at this.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » February 6th, 2012, 1:54 pm

I personally believe that writer's block stems from one (or both) of 2 problems. 1) There's a problem in your story and your gut tells you that you need to figure out what it is. The plot has jumped the shark or gone wandering off in the wrong direction or *something*. 2) It's not writer's block, it's YOU block. You're experiencing some form of self doubt, fear, or exhaustion.

If it's the first problem, listen to your gut, back up and see if you can't figure out where you went wrong or what you might need to add or take away.

If it's the second one, you'll need to work on what you need. Maybe you need a vacation from writing to do something else for a change. Go see something in your city you've never seen before. Go see a movie or a play. Read a book or two outside of your genre. Work on getting lots of sleep for a week, like 8-10 hours if you've not been getting enough sleep. Eat well, hang out with friends and family, just give yourself a week or two to recharge. Like taking a vacation without leaving home.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.