NaNoWriMo Progress - Roll Call!

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Sommer Leigh

NaNoWriMo Progress - Roll Call!

Post by Sommer Leigh » November 9th, 2011, 5:34 pm

How's everyone doing with their NaNo novel? Are you running into any complications? Surprise successes? Anyone need any encouragement or help getting unstuck?

I've mentioned this before, but a group of us have hooked up on Twitter and almost every night since it began we've been doing group writing sprints with 1 thousand words in 1 hour as a goal (#1k1hr hashtag) Everyone is welcome to join up when we do this and it's really been spearheaded by Bransforumers, which is awesome! You'd think that stopping every hour to joke around and be silly would kill our momentum, but it's been a real motivator. Some Bransforumers (Like Claudie and TL Conway!!!!) who are kicking our butts with their outstanding word count, but getting to work with them and then goof off after some hard work has been an excellent motivator. So please come write with us any time or start your own #1k1hr hashtag!

I thought it might be good to share names on NaNoWriMo.org too if anyone's looking for writing buddies. I know I still have a lot of Bransforumers on my buddy list from last year, but we have a lot of new faces too.

NaNoWriMo.org: tellgreatstories
Twitter: Sommer_Leigh

As of last night, I am at 16,047
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Cookie

Re: NaNoWriMo Progress - Roll Call!

Post by Cookie » November 9th, 2011, 6:39 pm

I'm Akari09 on both twitter and Nanowrimo.org

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » November 9th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Nano name: Cheekychook
Twitter name: @karenstivali
Current word count: 21,199 and I'm mid #1k1hr RIGHT NOW
Times spent Nano-ing with Sommer, Cookie and TLConway: Too many to count

JOIN US! (We hardly ever bite and are easy to subdue with chocolate.)
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » November 10th, 2011, 1:56 am

So far, so so. A day or so behind, at 13,655 with today's writing. Having trouble with one of our wrimos this year being very hyper and disruptive at our write ins, so not getting as much done as I'd normally do. Also keep finding myself researching (I know, bad bad bad), to find cities and what not since the story is set in Texas. It has resulted in my finding some fun cities, including the town of Cut and Shoot! LOL

My NaNo name is the same as the one here and I don't tweet :)

AMSchilling

Post by AMSchilling » November 10th, 2011, 8:25 am

Nano name: a-m-schilling (http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/a-m-schilling)
Title: Demonfire
Current Word Count: 6605

Starting nano late has me behind, but I work from home tomorrow so hopefully I'll do a lot of catching up. Remind me next time not to futz around until a whole week is gone, though!

This is my first year. I finally broke down and signed up because I spent the summer bouncing around between 4 different stories, never getting more than 10-20k words into any of them before I gave into the editing monster and went back into my draft to make changes. Bad, bad, bad, and totally killed my creative mojo. Plus deadlines seem to make me much more productive. Darn procrastination gene... :mrgreen:
-Amy

"Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open." - Stephen King

http://www.amschilling.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Schill ... 9869525150

Cookie

Post by Cookie » November 10th, 2011, 11:21 am

cheekychook wrote: Current word count: 21,199 and I'm mid #1k1hr RIGHT NOW
Times spent Nano-ing with Sommer, Cookie and TLConway: Too many to count

JOIN US! (We hardly ever bite and are easy to subdue with chocolate.)
Oh, god, those #1k1hrs have been the most productive I have ever been.

GingerWrite

Post by GingerWrite » November 11th, 2011, 2:32 am

Nano Name: same as here
Book Title: Wind Chaser
Word Count: 50,249 as of this evening!

I'm going to be doing another book this month hopefully, so I want to keep up to date on Nano stuff
"The more you read, the more you know. The more you know, the more you grow." - Dr. Suess
Worlds can grow and crumble beneath a writer's pen. We just need to find the right one.
http://startingonthewritepage.blogspot.com/ :)

Cookie

Post by Cookie » November 11th, 2011, 11:20 am

GingerWrite wrote:Nano Name: same as here

I'm going to be doing another book this month hopefully, so I want to keep up to date on Nano stuff
Wow! Nice word count! ;)

Sanderling

Post by Sanderling » November 11th, 2011, 2:20 pm

GingerWrite wrote:Nano Name: same as here

That's amazing, GingerWrite! Did you ever go to bed? ;) Congrats on reaching the end already, and two-thirds of the month left for more writing - you could write two more novels by the end of NaNo! ;)

I'm about halfway through, will pass 25k today. As here, I'm Sanderling at NaNo. Giving a trial run at a pen name following the comments on my earlier thread, and I'm currently @SeabrookeN on my newly-started fiction-focused Twitter (though I'm leaving the final handle open till I settle on what I want to do about the name). (Also, I'm still figuring out a lot of this social media stuff; the only one I do well-ish is Facebook.)

So far, so good with this novel - it's the first time I'm writing from an outline, and I'm finding I like it more than I expected. I thought I'd miss those wild epiphanies and watching the story take off in a new direction, but I'm finding that while the overall course of the novel is set, I still get little epiphanies and the unrolling of the details of each scene is a discovery. And I've been WAY more productive for having an outline, since I already know what has to happen and just have to figure out how it happens - much easier and usually quicker to work out.
My blog / Twitter
"Because if you have at least a modicum of talent and if you live by these six rules, you will make it."
--Robert J. Sawyer, speaking here of Heinlein's Rules.

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » November 19th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Just checking in to say I officially "won" NaNo last night (50,077 words). Hope to finish the entire book by Tuesday, before I leave for holiday travel. Thinking another 10k or so should do it. How's everyone else doing?
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » November 19th, 2011, 3:08 pm

I hit 30k last night :)

jenna234

Post by jenna234 » November 19th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Oh my gosh, I'm so behind. I've been pushing myself to do 6K a day just to catch up! You guys are real troopers to get so much done. I'm at 2K6205 words and that's after only 1K today (5k left!!!!!). Thanks for being serious kicks in the butt to get rolling.
Also- I'm jenna123

trixie

Post by trixie » November 29th, 2011, 9:49 am

Seeing as NaNo ends tomorrow, you can just consider me late to the party.

However, those #1k1hr sprints have been AMAZING. Need proof? Last night when I sat down to write, I was somewhere around 38K and lamenting the fact that this would likely be my first NaNo loss since starting it oh so many years ago.

Suddenly, I find Caitlin and Adrianne and BAM! I'm off to the races. **ALMOST 5K WORDS LATER** I have now decided this thing is MINE. Look out, world. I'm a girl on a mission...

But yeah, Karen, Sommer, Caitlin, Claudie, Margo, really, there are so many Bransforumers out there looking to cheer each other on. It's a total warm fuzzy moment.

But what are we going to do in December? ACK!

Margo

Post by Margo » November 29th, 2011, 1:19 pm

trixie wrote:But yeah, Karen, Sommer, Caitlin, Claudie, Margo, really, there are so many Bransforumers out there looking to cheer each other on. It's a total warm fuzzy moment.

But what are we going to do in December? ACK!
*HUGS*

Since people know I'm in writing overdrive, I've had one person suggest we have a one-on-one monthly challenge to get to 50K every month in 2012--and I took her up on it!

I'm also a member of another forum that had its own version of NaNo, and people there are talking about making it monthly.

The Bransforum could have its own challenge. If people don't feel up to 50k, it could be lower.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

trixie

Post by trixie » November 29th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Maybe it's just because I'm still ~6k from the NaNo win, but 50k every month for 12 months freaks me out. However, you varsity writers should totally do it. I'll be over here on the JV squad, working towards something more like 30K and 2 books read per month...

Either way, I do like the idea of harnessing the momentum into the new year!