Some words I can't think of

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
JohnDurvin

Some words I can't think of

Post by JohnDurvin » August 24th, 2011, 12:29 am

1. What's a non-colloquial word for 'bad-ass'? There has to be one, but I can't, for the life of me, think of it.
2. Let's say you get annoyed, frustrated, or let down; you let out a sharp sigh of exasperation. Is there a word for that noise?
3. Same but more indignant: the scoffing snort, or maybe the wry-faced pursed-lip raspberry.
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Beethovenfan

Re: Some words I can't think of

Post by Beethovenfan » August 24th, 2011, 3:20 am

For #2, perhaps "...he hissed through clenched teeth." I don't know. Best I can do. I got nothin' for the others. :?
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Samanthavibes

Post by Samanthavibes » August 24th, 2011, 7:18 am

badass should "cool"?

polymath

Post by polymath » August 24th, 2011, 10:30 am

JohnDurvin wrote:1. What's a non-colloquial word for 'bad-ass'? There has to be one, but I can't, for the life of me, think of it.
Several connotations for badass, one, troublemaker, two, a masterfully skilled person, three, a person with a large ego. The main variant for the term is a compound word, no hyphen. Badass has a vulgar connotation, so it's an emotionally loaded term good for conveying emotional context.
JohnDurvin wrote:2. Let's say you get annoyed, frustrated, or let down; you let out a sharp sigh of exasperation. Is there a word for that noise?
Again, emotionally loaded context. Emotional expressions, words, facial expressions, gestures, body language are best for interpretation purposes when they occur in clusters. A single noise is open to broad interpretation. A nonvolitional reaction, like the context of the question suggests, might mean at least a pair of emotional reactions. Though leaving an emotional reaction open to interpretation can be as artfully dramatic as a reaction cluster. Huff is an onomatopoeic word for the context. A discourse marker might do as well. Huh. Hah. Huhn. Oh-ho. Huh-uh. Uh-huh. An acquaintance makes a aharp peep with her nose when she's exasperated. Wrapping context counts large.
JohnDurvin wrote:3. Same but more indignant: the scoffing snort, or maybe the wry-faced pursed-lip raspberry.
Ditto above. Snort, derisive snort. More visual and aural sensations, action emotion, for stronger reactions.
Last edited by polymath on August 24th, 2011, 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spread the love of written word.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » August 24th, 2011, 10:40 am

JohnDurvin wrote:1. What's a non-colloquial word for 'bad-ass'? There has to be one, but I can't, for the life of me, think of it.
2. Let's say you get annoyed, frustrated, or let down; you let out a sharp sigh of exasperation. Is there a word for that noise?
3. Same but more indignant: the scoffing snort, or maybe the wry-faced pursed-lip raspberry.
1. It depends on the nature of the badass. a machine like the over-used Mack truck? Weapons master? Human weapon? You get the idea. You really need to break this one down. If you mean badasses in general - hmmmm.

2. Isn't that a snort?

3. Can you use scoffed as a verb (Karl scoffed then laughed)? Or use the antino ontariom Onomatopoeic "Humph"

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » August 24th, 2011, 10:47 am

do over on 2. You said sigh, and even polymath knows a sigh isn't a snort. How 'bout bark, sharp growl, or grunt - a lot of it depends on context.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 24th, 2011, 11:27 am

1. Rogue?
2. I usually go with 'scoff'.
3. Man, would I want to know that!!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

bcomet

Post by bcomet » August 24th, 2011, 7:11 pm

Oh, this is fun...

1. What's a non-colloquial word for 'bad-ass'? There has to be one, but I can't, for the life of me, think of it.

cracker-balls / lad/lass worthy of semiology (or perhaps Polymath?) / right fight fortunous badcap

puffed the atmosphere from her nostrils at the same time like she wasn't willing to let it out of the spout

and squinted so hard with her left eye, you could thread it with a needle

(Oh dear, the pent-up creative juices must have flooded the hood again...)

bcomet

Post by bcomet » August 24th, 2011, 7:44 pm

And a favorite of my husband's is rabble-rouser. (He is the one with the amazing vocabulary while I just like to make it up. :-D)
Definition of RABBLE-ROUSER
: one that stirs up (as to hatred or violence) the masses of the people : demagogue
— rab·ble–rous·ing noun or adjective
See rabble–rouser defined for English-language learners »
See rabble-rouser defined for kids »
First Known Use of RABBLE-ROUSER
Related to RABBLE-ROUSER
Synonyms: demagogue (also demagog), exciter, firebrand, fomenter, incendiary, inciter, instigator, kindler, provocateur
-http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/

and, again, it really depends on how you mean bad-ass.