The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
User avatar
dios4vida
Posts: 1119
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by dios4vida » August 31st, 2011, 3:13 pm

MattLarkin wrote:I'm real big on mythology, but I'm can't commit to being at the Workshop yet. I just don't know how things are going to be looking for getting my wife's visa at that time.
We can always put you down as a 'maybe' and then hope really, really hard you can come and help Cookie out. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

User avatar
MattLarkin
Posts: 346
Joined: July 31st, 2011, 9:37 am
Location: St Petersburg, Florida
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by MattLarkin » August 31st, 2011, 3:16 pm

dios4vida wrote:
MattLarkin wrote:I'm real big on mythology, but I'm can't commit to being at the Workshop yet. I just don't know how things are going to be looking for getting my wife's visa at that time.
We can always put you down as a 'maybe' and then hope really, really hard you can come and help Cookie out. :)
Fair enough.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

User avatar
dios4vida
Posts: 1119
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by dios4vida » August 31st, 2011, 3:16 pm

Hey, who else do we need to harass into coming to the BransforumsFest? ;)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

User avatar
Cookie
Posts: 540
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:18 am
Location: Berkshires
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by Cookie » August 31st, 2011, 3:32 pm

I'm real big on mythology, but I'm can't commit to being at the Workshop yet. I just don't know how things are going to be looking for getting my wife's visa at that time.
Yay! And good luck!
dios4vida wrote:Hey, who else do we need to harass into coming to the BransforumsFest? ;)
I got some people I'm working on.

trixie
Posts: 311
Joined: January 4th, 2011, 12:35 pm
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by trixie » September 1st, 2011, 10:34 am

Just now catching up. Sorry for jumping in late!

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I *might* be able to help Cookie with mythology, but ONLY IF I get a better idea of what exactly people want to know. I'm a classics girl at heart and have read most of the Greek/Roman mythology stories (the big ones, at least), but my knowledge on mythology related to other cultures is sorely lacking. Do people want to know about mythology, or books that incorporate mythology (Percy Jackson jumps to my mind...)?

Also, my own two cents worth...
If I'm taking almost a week off of work and putting all this money into making it out there, I'd rather attend discussions/workshops than hang out by the pool, drink, or gamble. I've been to Vegas twice so the glittery atmosphere has somewhat worn off. Instead, I would rater learn, listen, chime in when I can, meet you all in person, and write. The location and all it provides is secondary to me.

User avatar
dios4vida
Posts: 1119
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by dios4vida » September 1st, 2011, 11:25 am

trixie wrote:Just now catching up. Sorry for jumping in late!
No worries. :)
trixie wrote:I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I *might* be able to help Cookie with mythology, but ONLY IF I get a better idea of what exactly people want to know. I'm a classics girl at heart and have read most of the Greek/Roman mythology stories (the big ones, at least), but my knowledge on mythology related to other cultures is sorely lacking. Do people want to know about mythology, or books that incorporate mythology (Percy Jackson jumps to my mind...)?
My humble opinion is that I'd like to learn about mythology, books that have done it well, and how we can successfully incorporate it into our writing. Any and all cultures, too.
trixie wrote:If I'm taking almost a week off of work and putting all this money into making it out there, I'd rather attend discussions/workshops than hang out by the pool, drink, or gamble. I've been to Vegas twice so the glittery atmosphere has somewhat worn off. Instead, I would rater learn, listen, chime in when I can, meet you all in person, and write. The location and all it provides is secondary to me.
For the most part, I think this is the general consensus. We'll have plenty of time to play around and stuff, but I think we're looking at around four hours of workshops daily, plus whatever critique groups/spontaneous discussions/private writing time happens in the "off" hours. The entertainment committee is coming up with stuff for nights and afternoons off, but of course it'll be optional. If a few people want to hang back, talk about stuff, workshop together, or find a comfy spot by the pool and write, more power to ya!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

User avatar
Cookie
Posts: 540
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:18 am
Location: Berkshires
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by Cookie » September 1st, 2011, 3:27 pm

trixie wrote:Just now catching up. Sorry for jumping in late!

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I *might* be able to help Cookie with mythology, but ONLY IF I get a better idea of what exactly people want to know. I'm a classics girl at heart and have read most of the Greek/Roman mythology stories (the big ones, at least), but my knowledge on mythology related to other cultures is sorely lacking. Do people want to know about mythology, or books that incorporate mythology (Percy Jackson jumps to my mind...)?

Also, my own two cents worth...
If I'm taking almost a week off of work and putting all this money into making it out there, I'd rather attend discussions/workshops than hang out by the pool, drink, or gamble. I've been to Vegas twice so the glittery atmosphere has somewhat worn off. Instead, I would rater learn, listen, chime in when I can, meet you all in person, and write. The location and all it provides is secondary to me.
A helper!

Thanks for asking that question. I was actually wondering the same thing in regards to what people want to know. I'm also big on Greek/Roman mythology, but I do know a fair amount of info on Celtic, Norse, Japanese, Indian, Egyptian, and Mesopotamian myths. Plus, there is always plenty of time to catch up!

In addition to Trixie's questions, what aspects of mythology do people want to know about? I.e., the deities, the creatures, or the stories?

Nicole R
Posts: 186
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 4:40 pm
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by Nicole R » September 2nd, 2011, 9:45 am

Cookie wrote:In addition to Trixie's questions, what aspects of mythology do people want to know about? I.e., the deities, the creatures, or the stories?
Is it entirely unhelpful if I say all three? :D I'm a little bit familiar with a variety of myths at a very basic level. I'd love to 1) learn about those tales and origins more deeply and 2) discover new aspects of mythology (i.e.: sources of inspiration).

Claudie
Posts: 707
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by Claudie » September 4th, 2011, 11:48 pm

I'm with Nicole here. While I am familiar with some basic mythology, my actual knowledge of it is ridiculously limited. It's a constant fantasy-writer shame. ;)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

User avatar
Cookie
Posts: 540
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:18 am
Location: Berkshires
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by Cookie » September 6th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Ok. I will start working out a plan. I have some ideas floating around in the back of my head. I got Fenris to help out too if he's able to go (he's big on Norse mythology). If not, we could probably conference him in.

User avatar
dios4vida
Posts: 1119
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by dios4vida » September 6th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Cookie wrote:Ok. I will start working out a plan. I have some ideas floating around in the back of my head. I got Fenris to help out too if he's able to go (he's big on Norse mythology). If not, we could probably conference him in.
Cool!! Norse mythos absolutely fascinates me. YAY FENRIS!! (And Cookie! Can't forget YAY COOKIE!!) :D
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Margo
Posts: 1712
Joined: April 5th, 2010, 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by Margo » September 7th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Ummm, I hate to say this, but as someone who has been studying different kinds of mythology for a looong time, I have doubts someone could cover *one* kind of mythology in 30-50 minutes, let alone multiple. I'm concerned this gives the impression that mythology is something you can learn over a couple of hours (leading to a future pattern of poor scholarship and cheap cultural appropriation).

Perhaps it would be better to focus on ways to integrate mythology into a story? The culture and context issues of using mythology? And perhaps people who have done a lot of research into certain kinds of mythology could bring a short list of the sources they found particularly helpful?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Claudie
Posts: 707
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by Claudie » September 7th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Margo wrote:Ummm, I hate to say this, but as someone who has been studying different kinds of mythology for a looong time, I have doubts someone could cover *one* kind of mythology in 30-50 minutes, let alone multiple. I'm concerned this gives the impression that mythology is something you can learn over a couple of hours (leading to a future pattern of poor scholarship and cheap cultural appropriation).

Perhaps it would be better to focus on ways to integrate mythology into a story? The culture and context issues of using mythology? And perhaps people who have done a lot of research into certain kinds of mythology could bring a short list of the sources they found particularly helpful?
This.

It's lovely to hear about certain types of mythology, or even one type for 30-50 minutes, but whenever I hear a cool and inspiring myth and want to know more about it, I find myself wondering where to go next. The library has some sources, true, but not as much as I'd like.

Something on how to research mythology, where to look for answers and what are the pitfalls of using it as inspiration would be awesome. It'd give us some background and tools to go forward and do our own research.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

User avatar
Cookie
Posts: 540
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:18 am
Location: Berkshires
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by Cookie » September 7th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Margo wrote:Ummm, I hate to say this, but as someone who has been studying different kinds of mythology for a looong time, I have doubts someone could cover *one* kind of mythology in 30-50 minutes, let alone multiple. I'm concerned this gives the impression that mythology is something you can learn over a couple of hours (leading to a future pattern of poor scholarship and cheap cultural appropriation).

Perhaps it would be better to focus on ways to integrate mythology into a story? The culture and context issues of using mythology? And perhaps people who have done a lot of research into certain kinds of mythology could bring a short list of the sources they found particularly helpful?
I couldn't agree with you more. I was biting my nails trying to figure out how I was going to pull off covering multiple myths in one panel. Mini freak-out averted.

Margo
Posts: 1712
Joined: April 5th, 2010, 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by Margo » September 7th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Cookie wrote: Mini freak-out averted.
Excellent!
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests