Writing Software

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
lhowell

Writing Software

Post by lhowell » July 19th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Hello,
I am writing my first novel. The novel is near completion. I have a few questions.
> What is your opinion about writing software?
>
> I am old fashion, I believe writer's should develope all aspects of what they are writing.
>
> Is using writing software cheating?
>
> Please I hope you don't feel my questions are silly, but I am curious. I highly respect your blog and your opinion.

Would the agents and publishers notice a difference from software and someone's natural writing talents?
>
> This might help other writers as well.

Thank for any insight.

CharleeVale

Re: Writing Software

Post by CharleeVale » July 19th, 2011, 5:47 pm

What exactly do you mean by software? I use a writing program called Scrivener, it's a great writing program (for mac), and without it, I would be completely drowning in word documents.

But from your description it doesn't exactly sound like that's what you're talking about. It sounds like you're talking about a novel generating program? I wasn't even aware those exist, and if it did, then yes, THAT would be cheating.

But otherwise, I don't why seeing software to help you organize and write your novel would be fine.

So would you clarify your questions?

CV

poptart

Post by poptart » July 20th, 2011, 7:33 am

I'm assuming you mean something more than word processing?

Whatever it says on the box, writing software will not write a book for you. It is a tool. Some programmes help you organise material, like Scrivener (which is excellent); others help you figure out structure and plotting, like Dramatica Pro and several others of that ilk. Some people swear by programmes like Dramatica Pro but it is a polarising issue in writing communities. As with most things, you take from them what you can. It's not a question of cheating: if they help you, then use them. If not, don't. :D
Annoying people since nineteen fifty-seven.

I blog here: http://flyingtart.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/sandr_patterson

JustAnotherJen

Post by JustAnotherJen » July 20th, 2011, 11:18 am

I also use Scrivener, and for those that didn't already know this FABULOUS news, they're getting ready to release a Windows version!! :D (It's currently in beta, which is available for free.) Before switching to Scrivener I used Word documents and spreadsheets like they were going out of style! I am a very organized writer and I had all kinds of documents for notes, character sketches, plot graphs, etc. When I finally made the leap to software I tried the demo versions of the ones that looked the best to me and settled on Scrivener. I personally think it's much more powerful (as well as user-friendly) than the others. I love using software now because I spend a lot less time organizing notes and such, and more time being creative. Everything is all in one place, and it's so much easier to navigate through it all. I also really love working with a MS that is in pieces, rather than being one extremely long Word document.

So I'll echo what's already been said. Software won't do any of the work for you. And no, a publisher won't know the difference. But it may well set your creativity free. I would recommend trying a few out and seeing if they work for you.

lhowell

Post by lhowell » July 20th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Thanks to everyone for replying. Your responses have been helpful. My novel is completed and I was looking for a writing software that would assist with my editing. I enjoy writing and I am not pursuing something to write for me. This is the final run through.

I will check out your suggestions. I respect the writing world and I don't want to do anything unintential.