Genre confusion

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
polymath

Re: Genre confusion

Post by polymath » July 20th, 2011, 10:04 am

Chantelle.S. wrote:But now, I'm confused about what to label it as: romance supernatural, or supernatural romance? Does it matter which comes first if those two elements are balanced out in the novel?
A simple answer is to follow standard syntax. Supernatural is an adjective. Romance a noun. Supernatural Romance. Or, say, perhaps, a romance of the supernatural kind. Oh, and young adult is also an adjective in many contexts.

However, the two facets ought best not only influence each other, they ought best also tie together in the plot. Say, for instance, how do the supernatural motifs complicate the romance? Loki stalking the protagonist in terms of dramatic conflict might be seeking to incite Ragnarök through her. Her private stakes and the stakes for readers, public stakes, might then be salvation or eternal condemnation in terms of dramatic confict and the final outcome.
Spread the love of written word.

Chantelle.S.

Post by Chantelle.S. » July 20th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Ah, right! I thought romance supernatural sounded awkward and wrong.
Thank you for all your help! :)
"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s." -Stephen King

http://smithee24.blogspot.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1570694/Clairavance

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 21st, 2011, 12:54 pm

Just to add my two cents in (again), with the expanded description of your plot it really sounds like you have a supernatural romance going. That's what I'd query it as. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson