Writing while Studying Craft

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
dios4vida

Re: Writing while Studying Craft

Post by dios4vida » July 15th, 2011, 12:06 pm

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you again. With your encouragement, I've gotten all motivated to finish up this draft. I'm currently sitting just a hair under 51,000 words (which is an astounding jump in word count for me) and am so excited to get it done.

Thanks, Bransforumers! Y'all rock!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

washingtonwriter1968

Re: Writing while Studying Craft

Post by washingtonwriter1968 » July 15th, 2011, 1:20 pm

"For me, that just means really walking with my character, knowing what makes them tick, what are their triggers, what are their soft spots etc. To convey real emotional depth from a voice perspective I have to really feel their reactions and understand why they would react a certain way.
One very useful tool I use to help me with doing this, is to write myself letter from my characters. :idea:Everyday at the end of a writing session I write letters from the characters involved. They tell me about what happened and how they felt or thought about what happened. I will reread these letter before I start the next days writing. I find that doing this keeps me in a sense of voice and I learn so much about them this way.
I know I am new here but if this helps anyone with finding their voice ...so be it!
Washington Writer
Thx 4 your time
http://washington1968.livejournal.com/