When is squick too squicky?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Sommer Leigh

Re: When is squick too squicky?

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 1st, 2011, 2:02 pm

trixie wrote:Sorry, but I have a simple question:

What is the working definition of "squick?" I want to make sure I understand the lingo.
My personal working definition:

Squick: That which is both "Ick" and "Yuck." A play on the super gross sound effect I imagine when squishing something slimey and slippery between your fingers or toes.

Squicky: The "Ick" and "Yuck" sensation that produces the heebie jeebies.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » June 1st, 2011, 3:12 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:
trixie wrote:Sorry, but I have a simple question:

What is the working definition of "squick?" I want to make sure I understand the lingo.
My personal working definition:

Squick: That which is both "Ick" and "Yuck." A play on the super gross sound effect I imagine when squishing something slimey and slippery between your fingers or toes.

Squicky: The "Ick" and "Yuck" sensation that produces the heebie jeebies.
If we're going by personal definitions...it's that stuff I found stinking up my disposer after I moved in.
Spoiler:
It wasn't my food. It was black, sticky, and I had to push a rubbered gloved hand with a sponge down in the hole to clean it out. Dear God, it was like rotting flesh food mixed with the lemons I had used as a desperate attempt to ward the foul stench off. I will never ever want to touch that again. I couldn't even look at it while doing it.
Did that make you sick? That's squick.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

danielle100

Post by danielle100 » June 1st, 2011, 3:50 pm

Two words for you: Quentin Tarantino. There are so many repulsive things in his movies, yet somehow they work. And many people love them and think he's a great producer. Just be sure you look at your target audience. Good luck!

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 1st, 2011, 6:42 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:Squick: That which is both "Ick" and "Yuck." A play on the super gross sound effect I imagine when squishing something slimey and slippery between your fingers or toes.
Gee, thanks, Sommer. And I was eating. (But I do think that's a great definition, even if it did spoil my appetite a bit.)
danielle100 wrote:Two words for you: Quentin Tarantino. There are so many repulsive things in his movies, yet somehow they work. And many people love them and think he's a great producer. Just be sure you look at your target audience. Good luck!
Wow, so true! I think he's definitely mastered the art of acceptable squick. I avoid him, but I know plenty of others who love his work. Good point!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » June 2nd, 2011, 6:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice, and I plan on checking out all the squick examples :) I've considered the target age group and feel a lot more confident about it now. After all, it's not exactly a G-rated book, and if teens can handle the other content, they should probably be able to handle this.