Bigfoot and Writing

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
vickiconner

Bigfoot and Writing

Post by vickiconner » May 25th, 2011, 1:51 pm

I had an electrifying experience last night that made me wonder if there are others out there who share my enthusiasm for the eclectic written word.

I was chatting on-line with a friend who once had a life altering experience. In 1992, while on a fishing trip in East Texas, he had an encounter with what he now believes was Bigfoot. Yes, you read it right. Large, hairy, stinky dog smelling, “Harry and the Henderson’s” type of primate, also known as Sasquatch, Bigfoot.

Though I am skeptical about anything I can’t see, feel, taste, or touch, my interest was piqued. Maybe it was the writer’s curiosity in me, or maybe it was the “OMG! I don’t live far from that area!” thought rolling through my head that had me spellbound, but regardless, I was anxious to learn more.

But the interest I had in the subject matter soon became secondary. My friend of Sasquatch wonderment spoke with such animation that I could literally feel his delight pulsing through the keyboard. His dedication, his intense passion to learn more about the growling, rock throwing creature that had ruined his chance of reeling in the big one by forcing him to retreat to the roof of a nearby cabin had me in awe.

I could feel my heart rate increase, just as I could feel his excitement sizzling through cyberspace. All I could think was, “Wow. That’s exactly how I feel about writing.” Of course, now that I was cruising in overdrive, too, our conversation became so convoluted that it would have taken a team of decoders to follow us. I was throwing a list of my favorite authors at him, which he caught quite nicely while he was gushing about meeting Smokey Crabtree, the man behind the movie The legend of Boggy Creek. I was waxing poetically about character development while he was talking about campfire friends and Animal Planet’s six part series that is set to air June 5th. I was trying not to think about the possibility that the Boogie Man could be residing in the dense trees behind my house while I rambled on about cutting scenes and building suspense. He was teasing me with the knowledge that one of the national forests near my house had the most Bigfoot reportings in the state of Texas while admitting that he likes reading romance novels, too. The whole conversation was like…one…giant…headrush.

Guess you had to be there to fully understand the impact.

A couple of hours later, when my blood pressure was back within an acceptable range, and I was relaxing in the afterglow, I began to wonder if there were others out there who were equally passionate about books and writing. Even I, a normally “gotta see to believe” kind of person, felt somewhat apprehensive when I visited the site my friend referred me to and listened to the audio footage researchers have gathered on these “manimals”. So I don’t find it unusual for someone who has actually had one of these hair raising experiences to grow a little excited when they recount the event. But is it normal to get an adrenaline rush when you go to the mailbox and discover the latest issue of Writer’s Digest? Or answer in run-on sentences, afraid you might leave something out, when someone asks you how you got the idea for your latest project?

How about helping me out here folks? Am I the only writing junkie out there?

If you’d like to hear more about my friend's Bigfoot encounter, go to Texlaresearch.com.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vicki-con ... 1584971764
http://vickiconner.blogspot.com

dios4vida

Re: Bigfoot and Writing

Post by dios4vida » May 26th, 2011, 11:12 am

No no no!! You aren't the only one who gets waay too excited over writing. I think we all do that to some point. Personally, I was stoked when I got the 16th edition Chicago Manual of Style for my birthday. I'm obsessed with correct punctuation and word usage and I text in complete sentences with capitalization and punctuation in place. I get a thrill out of using "big" words in normal conversation (I once used the word "kerfuffle" eight times in one conversation just to see how many times I could use it). We're all nerdy around here, and for those of us who truly feel that we have to write or we'll go mad, we definitely get all high over it.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson