What Do You Write For?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
trixie

Re: What Do You Write For?

Post by trixie » April 27th, 2011, 1:32 pm

What do I write for? My knee-jerk reaction is to say I write because I have this story in my head and it needs to come out.

But what put the story in my head in the first place?

I write for the same reason I run: because I never thought I could actually do it.

I was living my life, watching the years go by. I didn't try new things and basically lived in my little life bubble. When I entered my 30s, I began to realize that my life was lacking. I didn't feel challenged. I remember thinking about writing a story and was stumped with the ever-important question, "What am I going to write about?" I thought it would be a memoir, but then I realized I haven't lived that exciting of a life.

Over the past 3 years, I have looked inside and taken an inventory of my secret hopes and dreams that I had been too afraid to let see the light of day. I started running. I started losing weight. I started traveling. I started writing.

I started living.

marion

Re: What Do You Write For?

Post by marion » April 29th, 2011, 12:51 am

Because my first-person narrator (in both WIP & WOBB--work on back burner) wants to tell his/her (respectively) story to the world.
And because, having found my God-given gift (so it seems, anyway), I need to use it and refine it.