Dream sequences -- too cliched?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
spauff

Dream sequences -- too cliched?

Post by spauff » April 18th, 2011, 11:05 am

Should you ever have the character waking up from a dream in the first chapter? Right now, I've got that in the first chapter of my novel manuscript, but I'm worried that it's too cliched.

Here's my problem: My main character has a creative, imaginative personality -- she's a bookworm and sometimes, a writer. Dreams, daydreams and sometimes nightmares have subconsciously become her way of dealing with pain in her past that she doesn't want to face. In the book, she discovers that she has the ability bring to life any character she wants simply by writing about them. Right now, the dream serves as a way of both briefly showcasing her painful past and foreshadowing her discovery of this ability -- but I'm wondering if maybe there's a different way to do this.

In my defense, the dream is not in the opening paragraph -- it's in the third and fourth. My main character knows she's dreaming -- it's a recurring dream that she's had before and she says so.

Guardian

Re: Dream sequences -- too cliched?

Post by Guardian » April 18th, 2011, 1:31 pm

If it's one of the major traits of a character, use it. My MC is also a daydreamer character, who is, just as REAL people, used to sleep and dream and daydreaming. Her first dream is also in the beginning of Chapter 1, somewhere around Page 7 or 8 and its never bothered anyone there (Okay. It's a really short dream sequence, around half page, but it's still a dream in Chapter 1.). By the way, why do you want to figure out a different method if this is how your story should play out?

I would say; go ahead and use it, especially as it's a major character trait and it's the major part of the story.

And personal opinion: only those ones are saying dreams are cliches, whose can't dream at all (A major problem in our present oversensitive, bored to hell, snobbish, joke civilization. :) ).
In my defense, the dream is not in the opening paragraph
If the dream is well written, your novel is capable to defend itself. So don't worry about it.

spauff

Post by spauff » April 18th, 2011, 1:56 pm

By the way, why do you want to figure out a different method if this is how your story should play out?
I read an online article in a writer's magazine about agent pet peeves (dream sequences was one) and sort of freaked out. :/

I feel a bit better about it now. I think I'm going to wait until I get some chapter critiques before I decide to cut it.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » April 18th, 2011, 2:12 pm

spauff wrote:I read an online article in a writer's magazine about agent pet peeves (dream sequences was one) and sort of freaked out. :/
As you're the writer don't let anyone to tell you what and how to write, otherwise it won't be you. Agents and magazines love to tell writers how to write (To create mainstream, trendy, cliche writers)... the problem is; we're the writers. So, don't care about online magazines as those articles are rarely covering the truth. Plus, you're writing for the readers and not for some agents or pubishers. You must amaze your readers and not some tastless, snobbish agent.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 18th, 2011, 2:26 pm

It depends.

I personally don't like dream sequences. Not because they aren't well written, it' s just that if it is a dream we know the events have no direct consquences on the rest of the story (unless they do, more on that in a minute) so it is hard to feel the tension of a dream. It doesn't matter what happens in them because we know the main character will be fine when he/she wakes up. Dreams are usually used to relate some self analysis and emotional growth of the character which can usually be done in a way that also brings conflict and tension to the story. I think the reason they are considered "cliches" and are somewhat unwanted in novels is because usually when they are used it is a weaker stand in for character development that could be better handled in a way that can have consequences to a story.

I'll admit that most of the time I skim dream sequences. They are never as good as the rest of the story.

That being said, if the dream sequences DO have consequences for the rest of the story, that's another matter. Specifically I'm thinking of Lisa McMann's Wake series. I definitely didn't mind those dream sequences, but they were VERY important to the story.

I think you'll find people on both sides of the fence arguing for and against, just like other hot button issues like prologues, epilogues, and flashbacks. I think the most important thing to take away is to ask yourself what the goal of the sequence is and whether the same information can be told a different way that has more impact. If the answer is no, keep it. If yes, experiment with accomplishing the goals in a different way.

Good luck!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

spauff

Post by spauff » April 19th, 2011, 10:54 am

Dreams are usually used to relate some self analysis and emotional growth of the character which can usually be done in a way that also brings conflict and tension to the story. I think the reason they are considered "cliches" and are somewhat unwanted in novels is because usually when they are used it is a weaker stand in for character development that could be better handled in a way that can have consequences to a story.
Thanks -- this advice is really helpful.:) I'll keep that in mind when I'm revising.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » April 19th, 2011, 10:56 am

Recently I read a book. (OOH.) And it had a character who had a lot of flashbacks.

Normally, I hate dream sequences and flashbacks, because I'm thinking, where the hell is everyone when this is happening? But it worked for the character, because she's getting her memories back. It flowed so well with everything, that it wasn't annoying. I could suspend my disbelief (horror\hate\dispair) and not be jarred from the story.

If you can do that, with the dream sequence, and not make it cliche or cheesy, then UR DOIN IT Right.

It boils down to - Is it a character trait? - If so, is it being overdone?

In one of my books, I have a character who talks to angels, Jesus, and sees visions. Oh, and he's a tad touched because he was born in a church and was once a Watcher. As long as he's not doing it all the time, I think I'm good, despite the fact that people will think it's hoohah. XD

It's your character. Does it feel natural? Then go with it. That's what you should do. When writing, if it feels natural, then go with it. If it doesn't, toss it out. That's what I live by, and it's never failed me.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Margo

Post by Margo » April 19th, 2011, 11:11 am

Sommer Leigh wrote:I think you'll find people on both sides of the fence arguing for and against, just like other hot button issues like prologues, epilogues, and flashbacks.
Sommer makes a good point here, but I'd go a little further. One of the reasons a lot of people (myself included) frown on prologues, flashbacks, and dream sequences (as opening scenes or in large numbers) is that they are hard to pull off well. In many cases it's a akin to an ice skater who just put on skates for the first time a month ago trying to do an Olympic program. Most people attempt these waaay before they can actually pull it off. Of course, we have to try sometime, right? Just be aware you are adding a degree of difficulty to your routine.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » April 19th, 2011, 1:40 pm

I read with the author has written. I don't mind what he/she calls it. Prologues, flashbacks, epilogues, acts, chapters, they're all just part of the story to me. Dreams likewise. All of every novel is a dream sequence really, even if based on fact. I don't mind novels starting with dreams, or the weather, or any of the other current writers' petty pedantic peeves. Such as alliteration.

A reader is entitled to his/her own personal peeves of course, as long as he/she doesn't make it a mandate for writers. Censorship is my pet peeve, and the worst form of censorship is self-censorship.

Margo

Post by Margo » April 19th, 2011, 1:54 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:A reader is entitled to his/her own personal peeves of course, as long as he/she doesn't make it a mandate for writers. Censorship is my pet peeve, and the worst form of censorship is self-censorship.
I think I just got an idea my 'R' blog post in the A-to-Z Challenge.

I'm torn between the idea of encouraging other writers to follow their hearts no matter what and pointing out pitfalls that have a high probability of getting them rejected. In the end, I think it's a value judgment for everyone to make individually. The deciding factor for me is recognizing that I won't be the one feeling the sting if I tell someone to soar without care or caution and they crash instead. Perhaps I would be less concerned if I saw less bitterness and hatred building up in writers for the agents and editors (and readers) telling them something isn't working.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » April 19th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Good points, Margo. There is indeed much misplaced bitterness and hatred on the part of writers for agents and editors and readers. There's no accounting for taste and people can disagree without being disagreeable. I would pay great attention to what an agent, editor or reader said about my writing, even if I did not fully agree. I learn as much from disagreeing as from agreeing.

Margo

Post by Margo » April 19th, 2011, 2:53 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:I would pay great attention to what an agent, editor or reader said about my writing, even if I did not fully agree.
This brings up something interesting for me. I ran into some old crits I'd gotten years ago and started re-reading them. I noticed two things. First, they were frequently wrong about what the problem was. Second, they successfully identified the location of a problem with 100% accuracy.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 19th, 2011, 3:09 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:Good points, Margo. There is indeed much misplaced bitterness and hatred on the part of writers for agents and editors and readers. There's no accounting for taste and people can disagree without being disagreeable. I would pay great attention to what an agent, editor or reader said about my writing, even if I did not fully agree. I learn as much from disagreeing as from agreeing.
I agree with both you and Margo- I think it is important to explain the problems with a certain method or concept and the things that could work is the best way to handle it. I don't think it helps anyone to just say, "Do whatever you want" because if that were true we all wouldn't have to work at editing and tightening our work to make it shine. Some things don't shine (or are very hard to polish) and I think that's why we come here. To learn from others where we might trip and what pitfalls we should look out for.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » May 16th, 2011, 1:37 pm

spauff wrote:Should you ever have the character waking up from a dream in the first chapter? Right now, I've got that in the first chapter of my novel manuscript, but I'm worried that it's too cliched.

Here's my problem: My main character has a creative, imaginative personality -- she's a bookworm and sometimes, a writer. Dreams, daydreams and sometimes nightmares have subconsciously become her way of dealing with pain in her past that she doesn't want to face. In the book, she discovers that she has the ability bring to life any character she wants simply by writing about them. Right now, the dream serves as a way of both briefly showcasing her painful past and foreshadowing her discovery of this ability -- but I'm wondering if maybe there's a different way to do this.

In my defense, the dream is not in the opening paragraph -- it's in the third and fourth. My main character knows she's dreaming -- it's a recurring dream that she's had before and she says so.
It sounds like your novel is about a dreamer, so it makes sense that her dreams would serve as at least relevant catalysts to the action.

Dream sequences are tricky and I avoid using them if I can help it, but sometimes… The question for me is not, “Does this dream fit?” it’s, “Does this dream belong?” (The black socks fit, but do they go with the blue jeans? Maybe they do.) That you are concerned that there may be a different (may I read that “better”?) way certainly suggests that the idea bears exploring. Try it a different way – there’s no rule that says you have to keep it. You might be surprised to find that the “better” way is a fusion of both.
Margo wrote:I'm torn between the idea of encouraging other writers to follow their hearts no matter what and pointing out pitfalls that have a high probability of getting them rejected. In the end, I think it's a value judgment for everyone to make individually. The deciding factor for me is recognizing that I won't be the one feeling the sting if I tell someone to soar without care or caution and they crash instead. Perhaps I would be less concerned if I saw less bitterness and hatred building up in writers for the agents and editors (and readers) telling them something isn't working.
Following your heart is always the best first way to start, and should never be abandoned, but the thing to remember is that we are communicators whose task is to engage the attention of our audiences. The trick is to sculpt the medium of our hearts into a form that connects with other peoples’ imaginations roughly within the parameters of accepted convention even (and I would say especially) when the goal is to expand, or even redefine the parameters. Don’t be torn; it’s not a question of one or the other, it’s a question of harmony.

spauff

Post by spauff » May 16th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Thanks, Watcher. I did end up trying it a different way. I took the dream sequence out of the first chapter, but writing another one later for the third chapter, and I think it works. I plan on passing off the beginning chapters to a critique partner within the next week, so we'll see...