Synopsis and POVs

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Moni12

Synopsis and POVs

Post by Moni12 » April 16th, 2011, 10:26 am

If you wrote a novel from 2 points of view do you have to do the same with the synopsis? Or, do you write it from the same view as the query?

cheekychook

Re: Synopsis and POVs

Post by cheekychook » April 16th, 2011, 12:07 pm

A synopsis is a brief, condensed retelling of your story in the order in which it occurs in the book. It should include the necessary internal thoughts and reactions of all the characters. It's generally written in an omniscient pov (like a query) regardless of the pov structure of the book itself.

Think of it as the Cliff's Notes version of your book. Someone who reads it knows pretty much the whole plot, has a good feel for who the characters are, what happens to them and how they feel about all of it. Agents read the synopsis to see if there are good conflicts, believable plot progression/pacing, clear story arcs, a realistic/satisfying conclusion, well-developed characters---they want to know all that is in place (at least according to the synopsis) before they take the time to read the manuscript. Hope that helps.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Down the well

Post by Down the well » April 16th, 2011, 7:50 pm

cheekychook wrote:Agents read the synopsis to see if there are good conflicts, believable plot progression/pacing, clear story arcs, a realistic/satisfying conclusion, well-developed characters
And do it all in two pages. DEATH TO THE SYNOPSIS.

*ahem* Brief rant over. I feel better. I really do.

Now to go tackle the TWO SENTENCE PITCH. Can you tell I'm getting ready for a conference? :P

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » April 16th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Thanks for the help! Now, time to start plugging away.