Wahoo Moment!

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
sierramcconnell

Wahoo Moment!

Post by sierramcconnell » April 12th, 2011, 10:53 am

I find that though it makes me almost late for work, I tend to write better before my shower, when I'm just waking up. And so, I was typing along, having planned the night before what I thought I was going to write. This one guy goes here, and that guy goes there (ah, yes, my crazy guy, I like him).

But then he- and then...OMG what...and [holds breath]...he didn't...he saw that...and...

And my fingers are flying over the keys, not caring about the grammar really, or the word choices, -who cares? he's running through a crowd to that other guy, so I can correct the he's and he's and he's later!- and OMG WTH was that?!

I didn't plan that!

And I'm breathing heavily, because I didn't realize the entire time I was holding my breath, only taking litttttle ones because it was a moment of excitement I hadn't planned, but I just went with it because it felt right.

Then I realized that if I didn't get up and take a shower right then, I was really going to be late to work, or I was going to have that just rolled out of bed look, and that's usually frowned upon by the professional world.

I'm still feeling the buzz from it. It was right. It was perfect. And I see it having all of these little ramifications that are just /great/. Yes. That had to happen that way.

I forgot how I love partial pantsing. This is nice. Like a rolllly-coaster.

Ever have one of those moments?
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Mike R

Re: Wahoo Moment!

Post by Mike R » April 12th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I'm a full time pantser and that's one of the things I love about it.

http://cowboysndragonscafe.blogspot.com ... ntsed.html

Cookie

Post by Cookie » April 13th, 2011, 11:08 am

Yea, I love those moments. I had a semi-moment the other day, where I changed the dynamic between two characters. At first I didn't want to, because I kept thinking--do I really want to do that to so and so? But yes, I do. It fits. It works. And he's just gonna have to learn to deal with it.

I'm also a partial pantser. I usually have a vague idea where I want the story to go, then go from there.
And what is it about creative brilliance and morning? I sometimes wake up with my characters having full on conversations with either me or each other. So much so that I have a notebook by my bed and a waterproof notepad in my shower.

wordranger

Post by wordranger » April 13th, 2011, 10:03 pm

I LOVE writing like that!

For me, writing is as good as sitting down to a television screen. Sometimes, I know where I am going, but not all the time. If I always knew what was going to happen, what fun would that be? The most satisfying writing sessions are the ones where I sit back in my chair afterwards, exhale, and say, "Where the heck did that come from?"

I just love that. I feel more engaged when I write that way. I call it "being in the zone" Once I get there, if I can stay there, I can go for hours. Forget spelling, forget grammar... type as fast as possible to try to keep up with your brain before you lose the train of thought, or worse, before your lunch hour is over. Yes, unfortunately, like Sierra, I am a slave to a job. Gotta pay the bills... even if you are in one of those amazing "zones"
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » April 14th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Sounds a bit like the 'Morning Pages' recommended by Julia Cameron? Better perhaps for pantsers and morning people than planners and evening people like myself. I do have such treasured moments, just not in the morning.