What medium - techno or old school?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Beethovenfan

Re: What medium - techno or old school?

Post by Beethovenfan » March 4th, 2011, 10:49 pm

There are a number of books that talk about how different parts of the brain are switched on when using computers, compared to writing by hand. Two of my favorites are Hamlet’s Blackberry and The Shallows. Then I found The Phenomenology (aka “personal experience”) of Writing by Hand by Daniel Chandler and liked the distinction he makes between Planners who “tend to think of writing primarily as a means of recording or communicating ideas which they already have clear in their minds,” and Discoverers for whom writing is typically “a way of discovering what they want to say". At the recent Austin Film Festival I was struck by the number of famous screenwriters who talked about writing in longhand versus using the computer because the said this process felt more organic and real.
Bookdoula, I just read your blog post about this. Fascinating stuff. I am VERY much a "write for discovery" type of person. And writing on paper just seems to go hand in hand with that (at least I think so!). Thanks for your post. I have some books to look up!
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

vasilisa

Re: What medium - techno or old school?

Post by vasilisa » March 18th, 2011, 1:16 pm

I write everything out first with pen and paper, then type it up and sometimes add more details. It's slow going and I have several notebooks I need to type up (arrrgh!), cause I'm lazy, but I have more success letting the other side of my brain take over when I write the "old school" way. However, sometimes I do get in the groove of writing on my laptop...but sadly it's not very often.