Question .....

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Preacher

Question .....

Post by Preacher » January 29th, 2011, 2:38 pm

my WIP, Preacher's Blood, is about a guy looking for his missing sister. I am looking to make this a continuing character so would it make sense if i had him, at the end of this, go into business for himself as someone who helps others search for missing people? Maybe he is a guy you call when you do not want the law involved and would prefer a more discrete approach? How does that sound?

Falls Apart

Re: Question .....

Post by Falls Apart » January 29th, 2011, 2:45 pm

As long as that's in keeping with his character, that should work fine. :)

Dankrubis

Post by Dankrubis » January 29th, 2011, 2:46 pm

He uses the skills he learned in finding his sister (or almost) as a platform to start a private detective business. Doesn't sound far fetched at all.

polymath

Post by polymath » January 29th, 2011, 8:47 pm

I see two challenges from attempting a franchise saga; one, a first-time author is an unknown marketplace quantity. A saga rises or falls on the success of the first novel. Therefore, ideally, a first novel should stand on its own. Two, a novel that stands alone that introduces a saga means a new main dramatic complication for succeeding installments, or a saga-arcing main dramatic complication for the first installment that seems mostly finalized by the end of the first installment.

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. A saga's main dramatic complication can seem finalized by at least the first installment. If the saga's main dramatic complication is then resurrected for the second installment, and an added installment main dramatic complication for the second installment, the franchise could be well established by then. Then subsequent installments might continue to build upon the main dramatic complication, while individual installment main dramatic complications are finalized for each installment.

Otherwise, some other saga arc is indicated. Protagonist character transformations compelled by a main dramatic complication are challenging to perpetuate. One life-defining experience after another, installment by installment, would mean a character who's constantly redefined. Progress against a larger-than-life setting, idea, and/or event dramatic complication would do for an arc, as long as there's forward progress, and not be quite as challenging.
Spread the love of written word.