When I grow up I want to be...

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
jenniferjbennett

When I grow up I want to be...

Post by jenniferjbennett » December 7th, 2009, 11:01 pm

When you were little did you always want to be a writer? I recently spoke to a couple of writers who previously were science teachers and Silicon Valley millionaires. How did you find your niche?
Jennifer J. Bennett

linguista

Re: When I grow up I want to be...

Post by linguista » December 7th, 2009, 11:22 pm

I wanted to be a scientist when I was like 6, then I wanted to be a writer, then a manager, then a writer, then a translator, then a writer... I think I'm noticing a pattern. lol.

I am at the point where I am chasing the dream, because if I don't, the dream will chase me!

ElisabethMoore

Post by ElisabethMoore » December 7th, 2009, 11:47 pm

I have to grow up?

Mira

Post by Mira » December 7th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Writing for me....well, I always knew I would write in mid-life. I knew it would take me that long to learn what I needed to say. I just always knew that...

Now, whether that was a self-fulfilling prophecy or not, I don't know. :)

But a few years ago, I started to get this drumming inside me: it's time, it's time to write. It took me awhile to actually pick up the pen, but I did. That drumming wasn't going to go away. :)

Thanks for the question - very interesting.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » December 8th, 2009, 3:46 pm

When I was little, I wanted to be a writer. By high school, I couldn't imagine being anything else other than a writer. In college, I decided to pursue other avenues, but ended up enthusiastically writing a 100-page Masters Thesis in graduate school when I only needed to write 50 pages. That should have told me something. :) Things seem to have come full circle for me, as I am once again pursuing the art of creative writing.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

shadow

Post by shadow » December 8th, 2009, 3:51 pm

I am still pretty young and still in high school, but I have never wanted to be a writer, honest! I have tons of ideas though so I decided to write my first novel. I am in the process of rewriting it now. I still have a goal for when I grow up.. and it has to do with athletics.
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Herema

Post by Herema » December 9th, 2009, 7:07 pm

When I grow up...I want to write books. But why wait until then?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far far away, I dreamed of writing, loved writing assignments in school, and wrote a little. After more than five years of globe-trotting trying to see the world, I returned to Earth's gravitational pull and became a wife and mom. Once life got a hold on me, I put writing dreams in the boxes under the bed. But, I never forgot about them. Now, I don't just daydream about writing...I am writing (whether publishing becomes a reality or not) and I love it.

SmurfHead

Post by SmurfHead » December 10th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Let's see... I guess the only two careers I ever really wanted was international spy or fiction writer. Really.

Even after years of such fun sentiments as, "Oh, you write? But you're not even published?" and "That's a cute hobby, but don't expect to be successful at it," I'm still typing away.

But never say never when it comes to being an international spy. According to ALIAS, you can just get recruited if you have good grades and are reasonably athletic!
"Mind-bottling, isn't it? ...You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?"

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » December 10th, 2009, 8:44 pm

I think my parents knew I was going to be a writer before I did, heh. As a kid and teenager, I went through all sorts of phases for what I wanted to be when I grew up - veterinarian (of course), marine biologist, psychologist, DJ, movie star, biologist again, newspaper reporter, then at last settled on writing and publishing. I've always written, and my parents have always loved and encouraged my writing, but I was one of those low self-esteem kids who never thought I was all that good and that my parents were just being... you know, parents.

Then I shared some writing and found that OTHER people thought my writing was something special, so I was heartened. Now I'm finally at a point where I've realized, "Okay, I can write. Maybe it's NOT crazy to think other people will want to read it."
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

Harper Karcz

Post by Harper Karcz » December 10th, 2009, 8:51 pm

I always wanted to be a writer. Well, occasionally, I entertained the dream of becoming a Broadway star, too, but mostly I wanted to be a writer.
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

Nick

Post by Nick » December 10th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Wanted to be a writer since the third grade, ever since I read The Hobbit. My ambitions, style, etc. have evolved over time, but that's what kick started it, The Hobbit. Wanted to write my own fantasy epic like LOTR at first. Prior to wanting to be a writer, well, the very first thing I ever wanted to be (and bear in mind I was 2 years old) was a cow. Not a cow farmer or cow breeder or anything like that. An actual cow. Then I moved on to superhero, pirate, and space pirate. Pirate and space pirates are still leaps and bounds above all the others, but given the impracticality of the former and (present) impossibility of the latter, writing is my fall-back. Seriously, much as I love writing, if I could have an at least semi-successful career as a pirate (which, given my years of studying the tactics of the likes of Henry Avery I probably could if I could get my hands on a loyal crew and a good ship), I would give up writing in a heartbeat. But still, I love writing, and aside from piracy can't think of anything I'd rather do with my life. There was a brief period where I went through nearly two years of writer's block, and towards the end I was considering becoming a voice actor as I was afraid I would never be able to write again, or not be able to write for a very long time, but that situation soon rectified itself and we were quickly back to pirate vs writer.

Chuck H.

Post by Chuck H. » December 14th, 2009, 9:45 am

I wrote my first story in the first grade and the teacher read it to the class. I was hooked. At various times I changed my mind and wanted to be a pilot, actor, international bum (almost made that one--twenty years in the military). But the only thing, other than a writer, I've wanted to be when I grow up is six feet tall. I'm 63 and 5'7" so, writer it is.

dmarie84

Post by dmarie84 » December 14th, 2009, 1:32 pm

I've been writing since I knew how, but I never knew that's what I wanted to do until junior high or so. Before that, I wanted to be a meteorologist (until I realized how much math and science were involved). In high school, I really wanted to be an archeologist--and still do in some aspects, although I know now it's probably going to be one of those unfulfilled dreams--and then decided going for an English degree would be my best bet.

Although now, I'm in a job that I could've done in high school...working in real estate (blech). Oh well. At least it's slow enough that I can work on my writing while I'm at work (bad, I know, but there's nothing to do right now...)
The pleasantest of all diversions is to sit alone under the lamp, a book spread out before you, and to make friends with people of a distant past you have never known.--Yoshida Kenko, Essays in Idleness

My blog: Tales from the Writing Front

Ermo

Post by Ermo » December 14th, 2009, 1:37 pm

I was destined to play second base for the Cubs but discovered that I wasn't all that good at hitting a curve ball in high school. I should have realized that when I wrote game stories for each of our two-on-two wall ball baseball games that I probably had a desire to write. Now, I'm trying to fulfill a dream of becoming a published novelist.

Matera_the_Mad

Post by Matera_the_Mad » December 14th, 2009, 9:58 pm

I wanted to be an illustrator, ekshully...but some wires got crossed.
A drum is empty always, and when the skin is rightly taut it gives right noise, right sound. Attention is like that.
Jiddu Krishnamurti