Do y'all do this?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
User avatar
Watcher55
Posts: 741
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 8:25 am
Location: Plantser-ville
Contact:

Re: Do y'all do this?

Post by Watcher55 » December 21st, 2010, 2:06 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:I do a lot of crazy things just to get into my characters' heads.

Thankfully, I haven't resorted to killing or maiming anyone yet, but suffering, yes. Because they do suffer. I think a lot of blood\sweat\tears goes into it.

I'm trying to think of something...I ate white yogurt pretzels once because Rehael swore he loved them. I had a beta tell me they didn't exist. I had to point them to the Harry and David box I was still using as joke bookends to prove them wrong. Yes, they do exist. No, they're not half-bad.
I ate dirt once. Yogurt pretzels are much better (who doesn't know about those?) Oh, and crickets, and the worm at the bottom of the mezcal bottle and and an eraser and...

User avatar
sierramcconnell
Posts: 670
Joined: August 23rd, 2010, 10:28 pm
Location: BG, KY
Contact:

Re: Do y'all do this?

Post by sierramcconnell » December 21st, 2010, 2:20 pm

Watcher55 wrote:I ate dirt once. Yogurt pretzels are much better (who doesn't know about those?) Oh, and crickets, and the worm at the bottom of the mezcal bottle and and an eraser and...
I'm just full of brain farttery today because I know I've done other things but it's just not coming to me. Gah.

It must be the medicine. @_@

[tries to think]

I know there's other foods I've tried... (I like it when muses make me eat things) ...but there's places I go to, as well. Research and books and stuff...

They don't make me do anything dangerous, because they want me in one piece, obviously. There have been times they won't let me write. I remember Bezaliel in particular would refuse for anyone to let me be inspired by them because I was terribly sick and feverish. I wouldn't go to bed and he (I'm one of those crazy ones that talk to their muses, yes) said, "Little one, there are times for everything, and it is time for you to rest."

And I got so pisssed. XD But I couldn't write anything. So I went to bed, pouting and muttering, and I swear I could hear him laughing and I imagined if he were there he would have curled around me (all eight legs and two human ones) and petted my head, and talked me into dreams. Because he's such a father figure. He still is, really. I put spiders on my jewelry and hats and stuff and call them my Bezzies. XD

Bastard. XD

So I guess it's less that I choose to do things and more they come to me all, "Oh, writer lady look at this!" or "Little one, I have something for you."

[eye twitch]
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

User avatar
hannah_dreamergirl_3
Posts: 53
Joined: February 16th, 2010, 12:11 pm
Location: Washington, England
Contact:

Re: Do y'all do this?

Post by hannah_dreamergirl_3 » December 26th, 2010, 11:32 am

Haha, I have to admit that I don't....I just imagine what it would feel like, I mean for the big stuff I can't very well, por exmaple, create a time machine and exprerience that to write about and tbh i have found that the minute details I use are more descriptive and what I see in my minds eye, what it feels like, I often -shamefully- over look unless it is human contact or something they are admiring.
I've never tested soemthing out, but I do when I'm in a moment catalog the sensation or feeling away to use later.
I've never even thought of testing out how something feels before....
Check out my new blog at, http://hannahbullimore.wordpress.com

'Good writing is to evoke sensation in the reader, not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon'

ELDoctorow

stephmcgee
Posts: 210
Joined: August 16th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Do y'all do this?

Post by stephmcgee » January 3rd, 2011, 12:57 pm

I am dying to do some of the research I want to do for the book I plan to revise here shortly.

The MC is in the air force (flight simulator anyone?) then goes to NASA (hello vomit comet). He fences and competes in archery (or did at one point). I'd love to experience all these things, but funds are sorely lacking for such frivolous ventures.

Emily J
Posts: 250
Joined: March 31st, 2010, 2:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Do y'all do this?

Post by Emily J » January 3rd, 2011, 7:24 pm

Is it terrible that I pretty much live inside my head? So mostly no, I don't go licking walls or eating strange things to write with better description. Maybe I should? One thing I have done, though, is gone on field trips. I have been writing a real-world modern-day fantasy series which takes place at real locations. And while google earth does help, at one point I did just jump in my car and go for a road trip, Fortunately I live relatively close to my novel shenanigans. But now maybe I will try and experience more things that my characters have experienced!

User avatar
Watcher55
Posts: 741
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 8:25 am
Location: Plantser-ville
Contact:

Re: Do y'all do this?

Post by Watcher55 » January 3rd, 2011, 8:15 pm

Emily J wrote:Is it terrible that I pretty much live inside my head? So mostly no, I don't go licking walls or eating strange things to write with better description. Maybe I should? One thing I have done, though, is gone on field trips. I have been writing a real-world modern-day fantasy series which takes place at real locations. And while google earth does help, at one point I did just jump in my car and go for a road trip, Fortunately I live relatively close to my novel shenanigans. But now maybe I will try and experience more things that my characters have experienced!
Wall of Voodoo tastes best. I did go to Rome a couple of times and walked the story line. I wish it was a simple matter of a road trip.

Emily J
Posts: 250
Joined: March 31st, 2010, 2:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Do y'all do this?

Post by Emily J » January 3rd, 2011, 11:36 pm

Watcher55 wrote:
Emily J wrote:Is it terrible that I pretty much live inside my head? So mostly no, I don't go licking walls or eating strange things to write with better description. Maybe I should? One thing I have done, though, is gone on field trips. I have been writing a real-world modern-day fantasy series which takes place at real locations. And while google earth does help, at one point I did just jump in my car and go for a road trip, Fortunately I live relatively close to my novel shenanigans. But now maybe I will try and experience more things that my characters have experienced!
Wall of Voodoo tastes best. I did go to Rome a couple of times and walked the story line. I wish it was a simple matter of a road trip.
Ooo, that can be tricky. There is always google earth. Of course novel research is also a good excuse to get of a plane assuming you don't mind being fondled by the TSA :)

User avatar
Watcher55
Posts: 741
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 8:25 am
Location: Plantser-ville
Contact:

Re: Do y'all do this?

Post by Watcher55 » January 3rd, 2011, 11:45 pm

Neh, I'll just show up naked and carry my clothes in quart size zip-loc bags then get dressed.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest