Books About War

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Matt Phillips

Re: Books About War

Post by Matt Phillips » December 20th, 2010, 2:03 pm

steve wrote:
Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:I have to disagree with Steve. It's certainly harder if you haven't served, but I certainly think it can be done.
Got any modern examples?

I've had the Dunkirk chapters from McEwan's ATONEMENT suggested, but I'm not convinced.
By "modern examples," do you mean examples of fiction set in recent wars or examples that were recently published?

If the latter, how about Bernard Cornwell? I don't think he ever served in the military, but his fiction - set in wars from medieval times up to the Civil War - has drawn great praise from veterans for the verisimilitude and compelling emotion of his battle scenes.

steve

Post by steve » December 20th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Matt Phillips wrote:
steve wrote:
Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:I have to disagree with Steve. It's certainly harder if you haven't served, but I certainly think it can be done.
Got any modern examples?

I've had the Dunkirk chapters from McEwan's ATONEMENT suggested, but I'm not convinced.
By "modern examples," do you mean examples of fiction set in recent wars or examples that were recently published?

If the latter, how about Bernard Cornwell? I don't think he ever served in the military, but his fiction - set in wars from medieval times up to the Civil War - has drawn great praise from veterans for the verisimilitude and compelling emotion of his battle scenes.
I meant the former.

I like those Sharpe books, and the Flashman books, and Gore Vidal's LINCOLN is one of my favorite books. I consider those historical fiction as opposed to war novels.
Read one of the best stories by Borges.

siebendach

Post by siebendach » December 24th, 2010, 11:59 pm

When deciding on a book to buy about a recent war --- by that, I mean one where a lot of those who lived through it are still around --- I'd be more likely to choose the one from someone who'd witnessed it. It wouldn't surprise me that editors and agents might feel the same way.

Peter00

Post by Peter00 » December 30th, 2010, 7:00 am

Reading has been developed as a hobby of mine. Especially the novels with some thrilling story.