Ever Have A Character That Made You Cry?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
bcomet

Ever Have A Character That Made You Cry?

Post by bcomet » November 8th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Ever have a character that came so to life that it opened your heart and made you cry?

Yesterday, going deeper into Donald Maass' Breakout Novel Workbook, once again I was astounded at the power in these exercises.
I was working to develop two side characters along their own plot lines (not just in support of the main plot).
And, wow, did they come forward taking on deeper lives and stories of their own and, well, just lit up the world and touched me so deeply.

Quill

Re: Ever Have A Character That Made You Cry?

Post by Quill » November 8th, 2010, 5:55 pm

No, but I've written scenes that did. On the rewrite of my very last scene, at the very end there was a little twist that just kind of wrote itself on the page and then...wow.

polymath

Post by polymath » November 8th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Yes, and scenes and settings and ideas and events, though I attribute some of my emotional responses to the metabolic throes of a traumatic midlife crisis. My sense of humor changed too. I find less hilarity in schadenfreude now and more in ironies. I've laughed so hard I cried.
Spread the love of written word.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » November 8th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Yes. I have a little boy in my story who breaks my heart. The protagonist finds him in deplorable conditions, and from an adult's POV he should be miserable, but he's very circumspect about his situation. It's life as he knows it. He's so fragile, and yet he's no lost cause. He goes through hell in the story, but I gave him a happy ending. Had to. I wouldn't have forgiven myself if I hadn't.

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » November 8th, 2010, 8:44 pm

I had a couple of scenes that when editing brought me close to tears.

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » November 8th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Absolutely. The two main characters in my novel and WIP break my heart, but they warm it too, so I forgive them.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Quill

Post by Quill » November 8th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Isn't it nice when our characters and our story are that real?

A good sign. That's how it should be.

Aimée

Post by Aimée » November 8th, 2010, 11:03 pm

I've gotten really mad at stuff one of my characters did. I wanted to yell at him. It's strange how we have total control of the words we write, but the characters just have personalities of their own that start to control us a little bit... Also I love laughing at stuff I wrote myself. It's a really great feeling.

HillaryJ

Post by HillaryJ » November 9th, 2010, 1:47 am

I've done a couple of really awful things to my characters, but I was too busy putting them back together afterwards to cry. In my very first novel, I did something that I didn't consider too awful until I reread it a couple days later. That little scene pried a couple of tears loose.
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » November 9th, 2010, 8:20 am

Yeah - there was a character I was killing off and it was a very upsetting, emotional scene that I had to stop writing and go back to later. I just wasn't emotionally ready to do it.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » November 9th, 2010, 9:48 am

Actually I did not cry, but I was close to it. The last two volumes of my WIP is full with emotional scenes and Volume 3 has the best moments in the last chapters where I was capable to feel the loss and the hopeless strugling of the MC. To me these scenes was the hardest to write, but a good and sad atmospheric music is capable to help to write it anytime.

Robin

Post by Robin » November 9th, 2010, 9:51 am

One of my MC made me have to take a minute away from the screen bc I was pulling from my own emotional experience and it scared the hell out of me. It was like I was in her head completely and felt like I was going to be consumed.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

karenbb

Post by karenbb » November 9th, 2010, 10:35 am

Yes! There are some things about my characters that make me cry just to think about them. I don't even need to be reading the manuscript. I probably went through at least ten boxes of Kleenex while writing my book. There were some days when that was all I did all day long...write and cry. It's incredibly cathartic and makes you sleep great. I also get pissed off at my characters...my male main character acts like a real dickhead for part of the book and I was mad at my husband for an entire week while I was writing that part...I totally took it out on him. I couldn't help it, he was the nearest man in sight.

side note: as one of the lucky people on the planet who've read cheekychook's first book, I can say that her characters made me cry (and laugh and smile) too.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » November 9th, 2010, 11:20 am

I get so attached to my characters that I can't help but cry when I kill them. Even if I know they'll be coming back in richly creative ways, it's still terribly depressing when I have to maul them to death or they say something profound or stupid. Or when the ones mourning them say something cute.

I also laugh a lot, make fun of them, and have crack conversations that never happened but I could totally see in a parody version of the book. I'm too involved. I live and breathe my characters. They are my life.

[sigh]

I feel like the author guy in Inkheart, only I don't think I would want to go to the world of my books. There's some majorily scary crap there. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » November 9th, 2010, 11:26 am

Most definitely. I've run the gambit of emotions when writing my characters. Silly jokes make me laugh; a mercy killing of a mortally wounded boy made me wipe tears off of my keyboard; a first kiss gave me goosebumps and warm fuzzies. I feel like that's when I finally know a scene is good enough. When it toys with my emotions after the umpteenth time of reading it, I leave it alone.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson