Should bloggers charge for their writing?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
kelly.morgan

Re: Should bloggers charge for their writing?

Post by kelly.morgan » December 9th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Mary E. Ulrich wrote:
Appreciate the comment. I know what you mean. There are some people who think in the future there will be no more non-fiction books. Most everything will be available for free on the web. Not sure what I think of that, but I see my personal book-buying habits changing. So if we are writing a non-fiction book and posting it bit-by-bit on a blog, essentially self-publishing, isn't it reasonable to want some compensation?
I think it's reasonable to want some compensation and I do believe change is coming.

I seek out information on a subject via websites first. They have the starter information I need and some of them can be quite detailed. Still, if you want the truly informative stuff, you have to buy it (reasonable of course). I would gladly embrace a model that allowed readers to preview information and buy it instantly instead of waiting for a book to come. Even a 12 - 24 hour (I live in the land of Amazon.com) turnaround is slow if I am immersed in a subject. Kindle has greatly helped in this and I don't see why specialized blogs can't do something similar.

Just don't try charging for things that people can get for free elsewhere. *Stares down at Rupert Murdoch* http://www.businessinsider.com/new-york ... ks-2009-11

Mary E. Ulrich

Re: Should bloggers charge for their writing?

Post by Mary E. Ulrich » December 17th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Hi Nathan and Friends,

I have been thinking about this topic and see many writers asking the same questions.

Wondering? Would this be an interesting question for a poll?

I bet the stats will change as the years pass: Either the payment idea will work itself out, there will be more pay or free blogs, or our attitudes and buying habits will change...or?

I have no clue how to do a poll? But I bet someone here does.
Thanks. Looking forward to the results. Mary