Genre hopping

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Melissa LR Handa

Genre hopping

Post by Melissa LR Handa » October 25th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Hello, everyone.

I'm currently in the process of seeking literary representation for my first novel, a work of women's fiction. I've already started work on my second novel, which is actually paranormal YA. I have at least five back-up ideas for full-length novels within the category of women's fiction, just in case. I made the shift, so that if I can't get my first novel published straight-away, I can try my luck in a different market.

Does anyone else write in more than one genre? I'm having a lot of fun with the new story, since it's less literary fiction and a bit more fun. I'm also enjoying a shift from multiple third person POV to first person POV.

HillaryJ

Re: Genre hopping

Post by HillaryJ » October 26th, 2010, 1:15 am

I write in multiple sub-genres of SF/F, but I'm concentrating in a specific area for the sole reason that I'm working to build fellowship and some following in that area. The idea behind that is to try to make myself more marketable. Also, because I work full time and have a family, I'd rather (knock on wood) stack series in a single genre than possibly sacrifice quality by trying to meet concurrent deadlines in multiple genres.
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

Ermo

Post by Ermo » October 26th, 2010, 10:53 am

I think it's beneficial to anyone's growth as a writer to write different genres. In fact, I think it's beneficial to write in all different ways - whether it's short-form blogging, journalism, copy writing, etc., you learn from it all. I also have ideas across genres. Good luck.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » October 26th, 2010, 3:34 pm

While I'm always falling in the SF-F categories, I've hopped between the subgenres quite a lot. I find building wildly different plots or working in diverse settings allows me to grow as a writer. Not every project has to be marketable to be important to your career.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Down the well

Post by Down the well » October 29th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Melissa LR Handa wrote:I'm currently in the process of seeking literary representation for my first novel, a work of women's fiction. I've already started work on my second novel, which is actually paranormal YA. I have at least five back-up ideas for full-length novels within the category of women's fiction, just in case. I made the shift, so that if I can't get my first novel published straight-away, I can try my luck in a different market.
I think it's important for writers to "try on" different genres to see what feels right. I started out thinking I wanted to write literary. Then I tried a murder mystery and children's fantasy. Yeah, kind of all over the place, and they were all fails. But then I began writing adult fantasy/adventure romance (I know, it's a genre bender), and really found my voice.

I think once you reach the publication stage, however, there is pressure to stay within your genre -- at least until you are well established and/or successful (and even then I think it's tough to switch). The best thing to do is write what you love, because if you are lucky enough to get published, it is likely you'll be expected to stay in that genre.

Margo

Post by Margo » October 29th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Down the well wrote:I think once you reach the publication stage, however, there is pressure to stay within your genre -- at least until you are well established and/or successful (and even then I think it's tough to switch). The best thing to do is write what you love, because if you are lucky enough to get published, it is likely you'll be expected to stay in that genre.
I think that's definitely the case initially, but it's fairly common now for authors to write in two or three genres, using pen names for the other genres. That can be important, because you don't want to piss off a loyal reader who LOVES your fantasy by putting the same name on your mystery and having them only realize that after they've gotten home with the book. Pen names might also be used to differentiate between YA and adult novels or novels in the same genre that have very different levels of sex or violence. Seanan McGuire is a good example. FEED was put out under the name Mira Grant because it was much darker and more violent than her Toby Daye books.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Melissa LR Handa

Post by Melissa LR Handa » October 29th, 2010, 3:27 pm

The use of pen names is a good idea. I cannot see myself branching out into a third genre. I think YA and Women's Fiction pretty much covers what I'd like to do!

Down the well

Post by Down the well » October 29th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Margo wrote:I think that's definitely the case initially, but it's fairly common now for authors to write in two or three genres, using pen names for the other genres.
Are there some examples of people who were able to do this early in their careers? Or would you say that most authors have to write at least a few books in one genre first and establish a track record before finding success in another area under a pen name?

Margo

Post by Margo » October 29th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Down the well wrote:Are there examples of people who are able to do this early in their careers? Or would you say that most authors have to write several books in one genre first and establish a track record before finding success in another area under a pen name?
"Early" is kind of relative. Most of the ones I know of have quite a few books (6, 8 ,10) behind them before they do this. Seanan McGuire, if I recall correctly, had two on the shelves and another due out in a couple of months when FEED hit the shelves (and was a success, at least on the SFF lists, unknown how well it did on the NYT). BookEnds had a blog post about a debut author who signed with two different agents for two different genres. Of course, she didn't tell either of the agents she was doing this, which was an awful idea.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

HillaryJ

Post by HillaryJ » October 29th, 2010, 5:14 pm

I've seen it occasionally early in a writer's publishing career, but it looks like to me (non-scientific analysis here) like the genres are kind of complimentary. Laura Bickle recently started publishing urban fantasy, followed by paranormal romance under a pen name.

I was just at a conference where author Robert Dugoni (legal thrillers, I think) said he's working on a literary novel. That, I would think, might be more difficult for a new writer.
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

kans_007

Post by kans_007 » October 30th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Yes, write whatever you enjoy writing. If you are having a good time writing it, chances are that the reader will have a good time reading it. Base your writing based on what you are passionate about. Just write for yourself, and don't worry if people will like it or not.

I agree with the other poster who suggested pen names. Just use your maiden name or pen name for your YA fantasy genre. Good luck!