Critiques and Nathan's Sandwich Rule

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Jayelle

Re: Critiques and Nathan's Sandwich Rule

Post by Jayelle » October 28th, 2010, 1:19 pm

The reason I stopped writing in the 90's was the unkind and negative critique my work received in a terribly ego-driven writing workshop. It was really traumatic, and hard to profit from since many of the comments were inconsistent and seemingly intentionally hurtful. Your comments about positivity convince me that it's time to un-quit writing! Also, hopefully my skin is a bit thicker these days. Thanks!

TigerGray

Post by TigerGray » October 28th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Jayelle wrote:The reason I stopped writing in the 90's was the unkind and negative critique my work received in a terribly ego-driven writing workshop. It was really traumatic, and hard to profit from since many of the comments were inconsistent and seemingly intentionally hurtful. Your comments about positivity convince me that it's time to un-quit writing! Also, hopefully my skin is a bit thicker these days. Thanks!

Seriously, no one should ever treat you like that. I had something of a similar experience, though some of the folk in the group were nice enough. The comments of the majority, however, had some truth to them but the general cattiness made that hard to hear. There's a difference between giving you the straight deal and being a high and mighty condescending asshat. Good luck! Never quit writing.
"Who knows themselves better than the blind?' - for every thought becomes a tool." --Luis Borges

http://tigergray.blogspot.com/

bcomet

Post by bcomet » October 28th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Jayelle wrote:The reason I stopped writing in the 90's was the unkind and negative critique my work received in a terribly ego-driven writing workshop. It was really traumatic, and hard to profit from since many of the comments were inconsistent and seemingly intentionally hurtful. Your comments about positivity convince me that it's time to un-quit writing! Also, hopefully my skin is a bit thicker these days. Thanks!
You've come to the right place here. Nathan's a great watchdog. And the company is mostly thoughtful and helpful. There are plenty of writers here who are sensitive and need and thrive on the TLC sandwich rule accompanied by a tasty original sandwich now and then.

BTW, forum people: Nathan's sandwich recipe book??? Could be incredible!

Cheekychook started it and mmmm mmmm mmmm. It's become irresistible!