The Hierarchy of Helping

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Marney

The Hierarchy of Helping

Post by Marney » October 6th, 2010, 3:19 pm

The Hierarchy of Helping
Is there a hierarchy to helping? Not everyone is cut out to sell everything they own and take up residence in a war zone or a remote village without running water. I applaud and respect the people who do it—they are an inspiration. But to be completely honest, they are also sometimes intimidating. After reading Three Cups of Tea, I felt at once rejuvenated to get out there and make a difference, and yet, depressed that in comparison to someone like Greg Mortenson, I haven’t done squat and probably never will.

But, it’s important to fight that lethargy. It’s not about comparison. There are all kinds of ways to be of use in this world. Writers can inspire social change. Recently, I heard someone say writers, poets and artists are needed out there, right along with engineers. I sat up a little straighter. Yeah. Some days, it’s too easy to forget that. Maybe you coach kids’ soccer or spend a couple of hours a week at a local school helping kids, one-on-one, learn to read better. Maybe you paint children's outpatient rooms at a hospital with a funny beach scene of a crab taking off with someone’s flip-flop, or maybe you take dinner to a single mom who works long hours.

Start where you are. Who says it has to be organized volunteering to make a difference? You have a brain. Use it. If there is a hierarchy to helping, I guess we should remember that the base of the triangle is the foundation of it all. I think it all matters. Do you?
http://www.volunteerfringe.com