Guest Entry: What Writing Demands of You

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Kenneth Mark Hoover

Guest Entry: What Writing Demands of You

Post by Kenneth Mark Hoover » October 5th, 2010, 4:09 pm

I know your life is chaos right now. I know that and you know that.

But sometimes you have to be a right bastard if you ever want to write. Sometimes you have to shove other people out of the way and make room for yourself so you can write. It's not a nice thing to think about. I know that. But no one can write for you. You have to do it yourself because you are a writer. Don't forget that.

You see, writing isn't like any other thing. It's completely you, no one else. Therefore, since that's true, sometimes you must push people aside, even those you love, to make the room you need so you can write. Yeah. It's very selfish. But writing demands selfishness on our parts. It doesn't allow anything else to impinge upon the freedom it wants to have in our minds, and its desire to express itself on paper, because writing is even more selfish than we are.

Writing will NEVER be loyal to you. The only loyalty will be what you have for your writing.

Like I said, writing is very selfish. It has to be or you're really not writing. In the words of Truman Capote, you're "typing."

You have to get that straight in your mind. Listen, it's not your talent, it's not your ideas, it's not your perception that you have to overcome. It's YOU. You have to overcome you so your writing can prevail. In a word: you must submit.

Writing isn't happy with second place, either. It demands it be first in your heart and mind and soul. Writing isn't interested in being best friends. It wants to be all. And you have to make that commitment. You have to move beyond the point where writing is a game. It has to become your breath. Your living breath.

Speaking for myself I don't see that in everyone who says they want to be a writer. But I see it in some people and they got me to thinking about it yesterday. You have to plant your flag and say, "Okay, I'm in all the way" and then go down with the ship if that's what's called for. Because writing doesn't make any promises, either. There are no guarantees and there never will be. Writing doesn't meet you half way. You have to climb Mt. Everest and then jump a little higher and you still might fail.

Writing gives nothing. It only takes. And as a writer you have to give and give.

That's what writing is about, Charlie Brown. And I think you can do it and I think you need to do it and I will always be there for you. But even so all I can do is show you the landscape.

You have to go into it alone. And once you're there, never turn back.

BIO: Kenneth Mark Hoover is a professional SF and fantasy writer who has sold over 50 short stories and articles. He is a member of SFWA and HWA. His first novel, Fevreblau, was published by Five Star Press in 2005. Mr. Hoover currently lives in Dallas, TX. You can read more about him and his work, or contact him, at his website: kennethmarkhoover.com.