Past Tense & Present Tense Blunders

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
fertooos

Re: Past Tense & Present Tense Blunders

Post by fertooos » March 16th, 2020, 1:36 pm

I would correct them now before writing that way becomes a habit. But really, just have fun. Try to find your self-confidence and enjoy what you are doing.

jenifer04

Post by jenifer04 » July 31st, 2021, 1:49 am

practicing makes it perfect in understanding!

rudrisazz

Post by rudrisazz » March 30th, 2022, 10:30 am

I think most people probably suffer from this at least a little bit. Pick a tense (almost always past tense) and be consistent. My preferred method is to write my story down and then go back and read it aloud. The tense changes (along with a zillion other things) will stick out to you and you just correct them then. Good luck! mobdro

jamessbuzzz

Post by jamessbuzzz » December 1st, 2022, 8:18 am

I've recently become interested in the reasons/methods writers use in regards to switching tenses. I was wondering if you might recommend some further reading on the topic. vidmate.app stream videos

jankihaii3

Post by jankihaii3 » January 5th, 2023, 8:00 am

I changed one of my books from first to third person, then first again. WIth tense, you'l l mainly focus on the verbs.

vidmate.app stream videos

stewardcampbell

Post by stewardcampbell » January 12th, 2023, 8:41 am

Hello, I wanted to add my point of view. As for me, the most appropriate tense for storytelling is the past tense.

aawetu

Post by aawetu » February 11th, 2023, 12:54 am

I think most people probably suffer from this at least a little bit. Pick a tense (almost always past tense) and be consistent. My preferred method is to write my story down and then go back and read it aloud. The tense changes (along with a zillion other things) will stick out to you and you just correct them then. Good luck!

aawetu

Post by aawetu » February 18th, 2023, 3:17 am

Thomas Harris' Hannibal Rising and others of the Hannibal saga switch tenses from present past to present during scenes where a sociopathic character perpetrates a deviant behavior.
panoramacharter.ltd

Aava

Post by Aava » April 12th, 2023, 2:17 am

stewardcampbell wrote: January 12th, 2023, 8:41 am FM WhatsAppHello, I wanted to add my point of view. As for me, the most appropriate tense for storytelling is the past tense.
I agree! Past tense is often used in storytelling for consistency. It helps create a sense of immersion and makes the events feel like they've already taken place.

axedztop

Post by axedztop » April 20th, 2023, 4:16 am

I strongly recommend past tense, unless you're writing for children (the rest of us generally find present tense annoying).