You know you've spent too much time editing when...

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Mira

Re: You know you've spent too much time editing when...

Post by Mira » August 24th, 2010, 11:41 am

Heather B wrote:Oh Lord, Mira. *shakes head* I do that too.
Oh Heather - I was just joking! Well, I do edit my bosses memos, but only when he asks. And then I'm veeerrry nice about it. :)

Have you really done that?

Quill

Post by Quill » August 24th, 2010, 11:51 am

Gosh, I've edited MANY memos circulating around the office where I worked. And returned some to the authors for rewrites when they just didn't convey the intended message. My co-worker and I would routinely get out the wite-out or pen to fix stuff. No one ever prosecuted us for it.

sldwyer

Post by sldwyer » August 24th, 2010, 12:11 pm

I ask myself that every time I pick up my manuscript.

One of the Mad Ones

Post by One of the Mad Ones » August 24th, 2010, 12:13 pm

You know you've been editing too long when you stick the manuscript in the freezer to express your feelings through actions, the way your characters should -- and maybe to be a little dramatic about things.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » August 25th, 2010, 10:43 am

...you are reading a book that you've been waiting for (it's a series) and think, "Dear Lord, this was hardly edited at all, just look at that sentence structure!"

And immediately start to go for the red pen.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

midenianscholar

Post by midenianscholar » August 26th, 2010, 10:38 am

You know you've been editing too long when your friend is talking to you, but your eyes have glazed over because you are rethinking the last passage you had been working on, and you finally know how to rewrite that problem sentence.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 26th, 2010, 5:47 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:...you are reading a book that you've been waiting for (it's a series) and think, "Dear Lord, this was hardly edited at all, just look at that sentence structure!"

And immediately start to go for the red pen.
I just had that exact same experience!!! I found missing periods, misplaced quotation marks, and even two instances of having the wrong name assigned to a character (as in this person is DEAD, how can they be standing there talking?!). I couldn't believe it, especially since this author is a NYT bestseller with the best editors in the genre.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Down the well

Post by Down the well » August 26th, 2010, 6:00 pm

I'm about at the cross-eyed stage. Seriously, I think I need to get a pair those special glasses they make for looking at computer screens. They say you are supposed to look away from your computer every twenty minutes and focus on something far away for twenty seconds, but, ummm, I tend to get tunnel vision, staring at the screen for hours at a time when I'm editing/writing. Does itchy eye-strain qualify as sacrificing for my art?

Heather B

Post by Heather B » August 27th, 2010, 2:10 am

Mira wrote:
Heather B wrote:Oh Lord, Mira. *shakes head* I do that too.
Oh Heather - I was just joking! Well, I do edit my bosses memos, but only when he asks. And then I'm veeerrry nice about it. :)

Have you really done that?
I can't help it. I'll send the other managers their memos back, with corrections. When our consultant emails us I do it too. I manage to refrain myself from doing it to the Operations Consultant but only just. I mean, his are really bad. It seems like the further up the chain it goes, the worse their grammar becomes.

It's like a compulsive tick. They used to get offended but now they know I can't help it. Now I have to go to another store and go through it all again. I'm sure they appreciate it, though. Deep down.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/