SAVE THE TREES!

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
EMC

SAVE THE TREES!

Post by EMC » August 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

When you're writing do you tend to print out to edit, or edit on screen? I have a vision of a big stack of paper before me ready for my red pen to be wielded like a broadsword (I don't really write like that, just trying it out!). However I think of the trees. And wonder can I do just as good a job on screen? They say you can see things better on paper.
What do you do?

Claudie

Re: SAVE THE TREES!

Post by Claudie » August 5th, 2010, 10:09 am

I tried to do it on screen, but I couldn't do as good a job without a paper support. It bothered me that I couldn't see what were the words before I edited. When you erase something on screen, it's gone, you know? (unless you use office to track modifications, but I hate that option).

Now, though, I've found a perfect middle ground: I bought a netbook. I can write on my screen, like I would on paper, and I am very happy.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

craig

Post by craig » August 5th, 2010, 10:38 am

My solution is to use used paper. Every time I print something off or am given a letter or other documents -- I save it when I'm done with it. So when it comes time to print a huge book, I put all this used paper in the printer and print on the blank sides. It still wastes ink, but it uses up the paper a second time before sending it off to recycling.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 5th, 2010, 10:38 am

I do some editing on screen, but I always do one edit off hard copy. It looks different on a real page. Different aspects stand out. And some of the editing techniques I use require a hard copy. I compromise on environmental issues by using recycled paper that normally wouldn't be fit for professional use.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » August 5th, 2010, 10:40 am

craig wrote:So when it comes time to print a huge book, I put all this used paper in the printer and print on the blank sides. It still wastes ink, but it uses up the paper a second time before sending it off to recycling.
That used to cause printer problems. Does it cause any problems for you? What kind of printer are you using?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Claudie

Post by Claudie » August 5th, 2010, 11:18 am

I always used entirely blank paper when I print out the novel to edit it, for one very simple reason: I print on both sides. When I have it around, I use recycled paper too.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Harper Karcz

Post by Harper Karcz » August 5th, 2010, 12:00 pm

I print on used paper too (I keep a stack of one-side-used paper on my desk at work. It accumulates quickly!). No printer problems here! I use an HP LaserJet -- I just stick the used paper in the usual paper tray and it prints with no trouble.
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

wetair

Post by wetair » August 5th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Claudie wrote:I tried to do it on screen, but I couldn't do as good a job without a paper support. It bothered me that I couldn't see what were the words before I edited. When you erase something on screen, it's gone, you know? (unless you use office to track modifications, but I hate that option).

Now, though, I've found a perfect middle ground: I bought a netbook. I can write on my screen, like I would on paper, and I am very happy.
what kind of netbook?

Claudie

Post by Claudie » August 5th, 2010, 1:28 pm

wetair wrote:what kind of netbook?
This is an Asus Eee PC T91MT. It has a nine inch screen, responds well to touch and comes with Windows 7. It's a bit slow, but if you uninstall programs you don't need and keep only the basics (I have Office 2007 and PDF Annotator), it becomes a handy tool (except putting your palm on the screen can mess it a bit. It takes some getting used to) It also doesn't get hot and isn't heavy. I got mine at $447 CAN, but I hear it can go up to 600, depending on where you buy.

I'm not in the middle of editing, so I haven't tried long hours of work on it, but I've reread my ms and took a couple of notes on the pages. It works well enough for me, and I have another computer for lengthy periods of typing.

Plus, I didn't buy this solely for edition. I'm a student, and half my teachers put the power point presentations they'll use in PDF and use that as course notes. Needless to say, printing those would require a lot of paper, and keeping notes in a separate notebook isn't always handy. The netbook was a perfect solution.

wetair

Post by wetair » August 5th, 2010, 1:37 pm

i didn't know there were any tablet netbooks! lol sounds good

HillaryJ

Post by HillaryJ » August 5th, 2010, 2:40 pm

I do most of my editing on the screen, but when I'm looking at the overall pacing of the work, I print. Then I divide by chapter and review the chapters individually and in order. Also, I read the final draft aloud to find awkward bits, annoying repetition and typos.

I then correct on-screen and leave the hard copy next to my computer to swipe when I need to take notes. I take a lot of notes.
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

craig

Post by craig » August 5th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Margo wrote:
craig wrote:So when it comes time to print a huge book, I put all this used paper in the printer and print on the blank sides. It still wastes ink, but it uses up the paper a second time before sending it off to recycling.
That used to cause printer problems. Does it cause any problems for you? What kind of printer are you using?
An Epson inkjet all-in-one thingy. Uh... CX4800 model to be exact... I think...

Never had a problem!

I used to do it with the old Epson inkjet, too, and had no problems.

CraftyCreations

Post by CraftyCreations » August 5th, 2010, 5:11 pm

I have to print mine out. It's easier to edit my ms. HOWEVER, I have 3 grandkids that like writing and drawing and such so when I'm done, I give the papers to my grandkids and they use the other side.

Candy
I can spell - my keyboard can't.

sarahdee

Post by sarahdee » August 5th, 2010, 11:45 pm

Everything on screen. I hate waste paper.

If I review other people's work I use the review format

steve

Post by steve » August 6th, 2010, 11:06 am

Killing trees and old ladies is perfectly acceptable when writing.
Faulkner wrote:The writer's only responsibility is to his art. He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one. He has a dream. It anguishes him so much that he can't get rid of it. He has no peace until then. Everything goes by the board: honor, pride, decency, security, happiness, all, to get the book written. If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the “Ode on a Grecian Urn” is worth any number of old ladies.
Read one of the best stories by Borges.