Are you a Crafter or an Artist?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Halcyon

Re: Are you a Crafter or an Artist?

Post by Halcyon » August 7th, 2010, 7:06 pm

I honestly think I'm a bit of both. Sure, I want to make money and be able to support my family with my pen - err, keyboard. But when it comes down to it, I write because there's a story rattling around in my head that won't let me rest until I get it out.

If you'll forgive me drawing a corollary to knitting, I see it sort of like the difference between a "destination knitter" and a "process knitter". A destination knitter knits to make something, to have something tangible to hold. A process knitter enjoys the actual motion of looping the yarn around the needles, the rhythm of the knit and purl stitches.

I love to write - I write for the joy of it as much as anything. But the finished product gives me a thrill like nothing else.

So, uh, if any of that made sense, I think I really am a blend of both, although I'm probably more of an Artist than a Crafter. (But I'm not a diva, I swear!)

- Halcyon

arbraun

Re: Are you a Crafter or an Artist?

Post by arbraun » August 8th, 2010, 12:12 am

I'm definitely a crafter. I desire not only that people see my work but also that it gets the recognition it deserves. Yes, we can get along. I have plenty of friends that are artists. Yet that nasty disagreement will always rear its ugly head.