How many of you write while tipsy?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
casnow

Re: How many of you write while tipsy?

Post by casnow » December 27th, 2009, 1:19 pm

One additional benefit is that if I'm drinking and writing I'm not doing far more regrettable things like drinking and texting or drinking and emailing, all of which seem to be far more lamentable in the long run.

Anywho, I just finished edit #5 on my current manuscript, which I think is the last one before my next query round... time to give the query letter one last look over before sending it out.

*fingers crossed*

MoiraYoung

Post by MoiraYoung » January 26th, 2010, 3:41 pm

I find that alcohol is a tool to separate one's creative self from one's overanalytical self. That being said, I don't write much under the influence, because I find that I can achieve the same effect with other tools. Music, for instance, distracts my brain so that I can get into the zone and be creative. Also, alcohol tends to make me sleepy, if I'm already tired.

Really, for me I just need to get into the writing headspace. I can see how alcohol can be helpful for some people to do so. The best thing I ever wrote while tipsy was a haiku:

O golden liquid
Fair and foul you fire my blood
You make me a fool.

;)

Seamus

Post by Seamus » January 26th, 2010, 4:10 pm

You guys are much more skilled than I am. I find that I can't remember where my characters have been when I've had as few as two glasses of wine. Then I have to look back at the previous chapters and forget what I was looking for (sort of like going into the kitchen and forgetting why by the time you get there). The nuances of my characters, what I had planned for them -- all of that just tends to get fuzzy and then I write badly. I have to admit, it would be much more fun, but probably not for everyone else.
J. Seamus Welsh
welsh.john.seamus@gmail.com
Blog (a playful place to experiment with character voices): http://oh-thereyouare.blogspot.com/
Website (shameless self-promotion): http://www.inwrittenform.com

Nick

Post by Nick » January 26th, 2010, 4:41 pm

I would never write while in taking any alcohol, whether just drinking or steamed (and it takes a lot to get me steaming). On top of that, I'm frankly not much a fan of alcohol. I find the alcohol itself ruins the taste of what could be otherwise good drinks, and I know, I know, the point of it isn't to taste good, it's to get you drunk, but I'm not much for drunkenness. A bit of drink is one thing, but drunkenness is quite another. As for using alcohol to blur the lines between reality and fiction? Pah! The lines are already so sharply blurred any more and I'd be running around with my fob watch complaining about being late. I have only once involved alcohol during my writing process, and I didn't drink it while writing. It has been a long, long time since I've ingested any alcohol other than scotch, and I forgot what Heineken smells and tastes like beyond just a vague little echo at the back of my mind, so I cracked open a bottle to help me describe the smell, wrote what I intended to write with it, went off and enjoyed the bottle and came back a while later and wrapped up that piece of the chapter. And then the next day I decided I really didn't need those descriptors and sliced them. But hey, that's writing for you.