Writing to a specific audience

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Roger

Writing to a specific audience

Post by Roger » August 26th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Hi,

I'm 2500 words into fantasy novelette set in the middle ages. My editor/critic, who doubles as my wife, isn't a fan of the genre and had issues with the vocabulary. The use of archaic measurements like, span, league and furlong threw her off; toss in middle age weaponry and her head exploded. When writing in a genre or sub genre, should you write to specific readers comfortable with outdated terms or target a broader audience? For example, miles and yards are appropriate substitutions and might not bogged down readers.

Roger

PeterTaylor

Re: Writing to a specific audience

Post by PeterTaylor » October 9th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Historical is hard because reader enthusiasts for the period of the setting expect 100% accuracy. They know e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g and will delight in telling the world what you have wrong in a review that will be rated poorly.

Perhaps this is part of the reason why I'm loath to start my Regency/Victorian story set in the UK, though I've done heaps of research.

I'd go with spans and leagues, especially in dialogue.

Good luck!

Shilden_T72

Post by Shilden_T72 » October 21st, 2019, 2:37 am

Yeah, it's better to go for something as accurate as possible.
Experts of the era/genre will appreciate the research, and people with limited knowledge of it will find that it looks cool. Just make sure to add a footnote or something at the beginning of the story to make sure that the latter will know how much a league or furlong is!

Roger

Post by Roger » October 28th, 2019, 8:08 pm

I appreciate the input Peter and Shilden. There is some difference between writing straight historical fiction and fantasy, I think. With Peter's project, accuracy is important otherwise he might get criticism if words or technology creep in from the late 19th or 20th century. With a fantasy set in a time parallel to historical eras the writer might have a little more leeway.

laheylis1

Post by laheylis1 » December 27th, 2022, 12:38 pm

Definitely publish with publishers, agents and journals that feature your genre. There is a lot of creative writing out there that speaks to experimental prose, fantasy, sci fi etc. p.s. How is your wife getting on without her head?

RainBirds

Post by RainBirds » October 14th, 2023, 1:42 am

When writing in a genre, consider your target audience. Archaic terms can enhance immersion for fantasy enthusiasts but might confuse others. Using more familiar measurements like miles and yards can make your story more accessible to a broader readership. It's a matter of striking a balance that suits your goals as an author.