What made you start writing?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Nathan Bransford

What made you start writing?

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 7th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Do you remember when you decided you wanted to be a writer? What was the spark?

For me it was reading Roald Dahl's books. I loved them so much I wanted to write my own. But I forgot about that dream for a while until I was in high school and a classmate's murder made me take up the pen again. I've been writing off and on ever since.

What about you?

PeterTaylor

Re: What made you start writing?

Post by PeterTaylor » October 9th, 2019, 9:04 am

No one fixed occasion - it developed.

I never enjoyed creative writing in school, but when I was about 17, I was a keen naturalist and enjoyed writing a guide book to a local nature reserve where I was going to show people around. After studying, I got a job as a museum curator and loved writing pamphlets and audiovisual scripts. Then as a science teacher, one of the best parts was re-writing text books for children with learning difficulties. And I wrote another naure reserve guide.

Later, I had expertise in calligraphy and the totally hand-produced book was gratifying. In 1985 a friend was offered an opportunity to write a calligraphy book for publication, but she said she didn't have time and put my name forward - my first traditionally published book (Allen and Unwin and HarperCollins UK). But I still didn't want to write more books.

It wasn't until I had kids that I made up stories. They were so bad, I'd fall asleep telling them and the children would still be awake, so my wife told me I should do a course and learn to do it properly. That was 1998...and writing has been 'in the blood' ever since, though the seeds were there earlier.

I didn't get the next contract until 2008. Including spin off products, I've now had about 8 boooks published, but none of them have come from a submission.

Shilden_T72

Post by Shilden_T72 » October 23rd, 2019, 12:14 pm

I was just extremely annoyed that the stories I wanted to read didn't exist!
There's so many stories that would be a whole new level of cool if they were to be told in books, movies, games, anything; but nobody is putting their butts to work, so I have to do it by myself! It's as if I was craving stories that haven't been written yet, as if I could not be satisfied without something that is yet to come to this world... and this leaves me with no choice but to write and bring these stories to our world myself.

DrifterNZ

Post by DrifterNZ » November 7th, 2020, 5:01 am

For me it was that nearly every fantasy book I read had a hero born in some little out of the way village who grew up to defeat the evil overlord.
I always wondered how the overlord got to that position of power and if the overlord was born evil, or did turn evil becuse of circiumstances during his life.
So I decided to write one overlords story to find out.

karinda

Post by karinda » May 4th, 2021, 8:27 am

I am an artist. However I decided to make book with my art and had to write about my paintings and drawings. I found I really liked this art form and created several art books and also picture books for children. Then I joined a writing group and really enjoyed writing short stories and poetry. Then I created a novel and have written several others. All are self-published.

spiceagent11

Post by spiceagent11 » July 20th, 2021, 2:35 pm

to write a calligraphy book for publication, but she said she didn't have time and put my name forward - my first traditionally published book.... VidMate VidMate App https://myfiosgateway.win/
Last edited by spiceagent11 on March 4th, 2024, 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boozyninja

Post by boozyninja » September 9th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Nathan you are an inspiration to me, so the fact is that you made me write my very first book. thanks to you.
offshorededi
streamingdedi

ZiporaTilda

Post by ZiporaTilda » September 21st, 2021, 4:10 pm

Writing helped me articulate my thoughts into a usable format which I could share with others and impact life.
It was also an escape for me and provided just the write therapy for me.

tebobamaqe

Post by tebobamaqe » February 8th, 2022, 5:54 pm

I'm not sure if I want to become a writer, but I certainly know that my goal is to improve writing skills and I do it by means practicing writing from time to time and crafting some short but interesting stories.

albert121

Post by albert121 » December 24th, 2022, 4:28 am

Writing is god gift to a mankindFM Whatsapp
Thank you
FMWhatsapp

martalauterbach

Post by martalauterbach » December 29th, 2022, 3:14 am

Ever since I was a child, I had a dream of becoming a writer because the works I learned in school were very good. However, growing up to be a real writer is really difficult. Maybe I'm just a content creator, not really calling myself a writer.
tiny fishing

FaroukMiah

Post by FaroukMiah » April 4th, 2023, 4:17 am

I'm new to this forum, and of course I'm not a writer, I'm here to read your work, I really like most of your works.
Last edited by FaroukMiah on April 17th, 2023, 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.