What made you start writing?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Nathan Bransford

What made you start writing?

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 7th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Do you remember when you decided you wanted to be a writer? What was the spark?

For me it was reading Roald Dahl's books. I loved them so much I wanted to write my own. But I forgot about that dream for a while until I was in high school and a classmate's murder made me take up the pen again. I've been writing off and on ever since.

What about you?

PeterTaylor

Re: What made you start writing?

Post by PeterTaylor » October 9th, 2019, 9:04 am

No one fixed occasion - it developed.

I never enjoyed creative writing in school, but when I was about 17, I was a keen naturalist and enjoyed writing a guide book to a local nature reserve where I was going to show people around. After studying, I got a job as a museum curator and loved writing pamphlets and audiovisual scripts. Then as a science teacher, one of the best parts was re-writing text books for children with learning difficulties. And I wrote another naure reserve guide.

Later, I had expertise in calligraphy and the totally hand-produced book was gratifying. In 1985 a friend was offered an opportunity to write a calligraphy book for publication, but she said she didn't have time and put my name forward - my first traditionally published book (Allen and Unwin and HarperCollins UK). But I still didn't want to write more books.

It wasn't until I had kids that I made up stories. They were so bad, I'd fall asleep telling them and the children would still be awake, so my wife told me I should do a course and learn to do it properly. That was 1998...and writing has been 'in the blood' ever since, though the seeds were there earlier.

I didn't get the next contract until 2008. Including spin off products, I've now had about 8 boooks published, but none of them have come from a submission.