What's your favorite writing spot?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Nathan Bransford

What's your favorite writing spot?

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 31st, 2019, 10:53 am

Everyone's got a place they go for peak creativity.

Mine's like the Drifter's song -- up on the roof.

What about you? Where's your favorite place to write?

J. T. SHEA

Re: What's your favorite writing spot?

Post by J. T. SHEA » June 1st, 2019, 4:03 pm

I assume (and hope!) your roof is flat, unless you straddle its apex, which would quite literally be PEAK creativity! My roof slopes at 45 degrees. Speaking of songs, I could probably fiddle on my roof, if I knew how to fiddle. But I write on a computer in an ordinary room, which does have a view of our street on the south side and Cork City to the north, though neither quite as impressive as your New York City views, if your Instagram pics are anything to go by.

abc

Post by abc » June 8th, 2019, 11:22 pm

One of the coffee places in town. I like having action around me. I like seeing other people with their laptops working on their stuff. It helps that I'm there to do the thing. Iowa City has the famous writer's workshop, so there's always writers around (hey look, it's Ethan Canin at the DMV) and writer's writing, but I have yet to encounter Marilynne Robinson at a coffee place, despite it having happened to others. I keep hoping, though.

martingail11

Post by martingail11 » September 5th, 2019, 9:02 am

My favorite place of writing at office because I inspired from a team of writers.

felicityatwood

Post by felicityatwood » September 10th, 2019, 4:06 am

I have a lot of favorite places where I can write, especially it is closer to natural, near forest or water. This.. stuff around me helped me to focus all my energy on writing.

PeterTaylor

Post by PeterTaylor » October 9th, 2019, 8:14 am

The French-doors beside my computer give me a view of our frog pond and beyond to a park. Love it - especially seeing the water and birds that visit. I also need 'treasures' on my desks, just as Dickens had to have particular items for his eyes to linger upon while he took brief rests from putting quill to paper. Any of the objects would have been instantly missed if it had been removed. On the left-hand corner of his desk was a French bronze of two rather fat sword-fighting toads. Other items included a bronze of a dog-fancier, with little dogs under his arms and in his pockets; a long gilt leaf and a rabbit sitting on its haunches; a huge paperknife which he often held in his hand while giving readings; a green cup decorated with cowslips, that was always filled with fresh flowers each morning before he started to write...and wherever he worked, his calendar was always set to the correct day and date and placed in front of him.

I have no desire to even try to write while looking at blank walls, and can never write more than a shopping list when sat at our kitchen table.

If the words don't flow from the keyboard, I'll curl up in a backbreaking position on the sofa and write with a pencil, responding to the words and emotion with more flamboyant writing, variations in letter size and pressure... And I'll add notes around page edges with no scribbled idea lost. And it's more satisfying to strike out with vehmence than hit delete.

Shilden_T72

Post by Shilden_T72 » October 23rd, 2019, 12:46 pm

I don't write in a spot, I write on the spot! It doesn't care if I'm quickly writing dialog lines on my phone at a family dinner, if I'm fluffing up the lore in the middle of classing this real estate in Ayia Napa https://tranio.com/cyprus/famagusta/ayia_napa/ by rentability, or if I'm scribbling a combat scene in a notebook while I'm sitting in the bus, I have to catch the idea when it's present, lest I forget it.